1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do I tell if I have a bad clutch (Ice breaker)

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Bossman 92, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I tore my ice breaker down a few months ago and completely went over it. Well today I hooked everything back up and now my clutch won't engage. How do I tell if my clutch is bad, and if it is, where is the best place to buy a new one?

Thanks Bossman

2. cpsnowremoval

cpsnowremoval Senior Member

could be your slave cylinder if its hydro and not cable. my f150 wouldnt go into gear good cuz there was not enough presure built up to work the clutch fork. the fluid could b low or you have air in the system and need to bleed it.

3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

with clutch bolted down it should be grounded. put power to the wire and see if it clicks.

i have them if you need one.

4. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

The clutch is bolted down and grounded. With fire to the hot wire it doesn't click. Does the motor need to be running for it to engage? I may take you up on one of those clutches NO LEAD, I will know tomorrow and I will let you know as soon as I know.

Thanks Bossman

5. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

motor does not need to run. when you engage the clutch from the control it should click loud.