1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do I make a torsion bar hinge?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by stroker79, Mar 27, 2009.

1. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I made a new ramp for my trailer. Its on the exterior of the trailer. The ramp is a bit heavy and I want to try to alleviate some of the weight. I really do not have many options since its a barn door trailer. I have tried many many ideas and the only one I can come up with is a torsion bar hinge.

Basically what I was thinking of doing is welding on a "hinge" in the middle of the ramp using a 2 peices of tube and 1 peice of rod that fits inside. Then put the ramp up and weld on the tube, insert the pin inside the tube and then weld the rod ends to the tube. Then once I bring the ramp down, it will twist the bar inside, increasing the resistance, and reducing the weight of the ramp.

A few questions:

Would that work??

What type of bar would I need? just mild steel? or something special?

Where could I get this bar? I am having a hard time finding something online.

Thanks!

2. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member