1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how do i know what is a good plow for my truck?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by snowman91, Sep 6, 2007.

1. i've tried using ematch on the fisher web site and it didn't seem to make much sense. i took a look at some of the rigs featured in the pictures on this sight and they have plows bigger then recommended by ematch. so how do i know whats good for my truck?

2. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Let's start with the kind of truck you have. Ematch is conservative, especially on the lighter trucks (ie: 1/2 ton trucks may only get a Homesteader or LD). Most of us will be able to tell you just from the kind of truck you have & your intended use for it what kind of plow you should be looking at. I commend you, though, for already making a great first step in choosing Fisher! You won't be disappointed. So what kind of truck are you using, and what are you looking to do with it for plowing (ie: commercial lots, significant number of driveways, just your driveway)?

~Kevin

3. im in the market for buying a used truck and something like a f250, f-350, dodge 2500 or a gmc/chevy sierra/silverado 2500 not sure if gas or diesel. i would be doing everything thing from small driveways up to walmart parking lots.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Any 250/2500 is a good all around match for what you're talking about. Some plow manufacturers will not recommend putting a plow on a diesel, especially in a 3/4 ton or some crew cab vehicles because of the potential weight involved. Recommendations are based on a loaded cab with a full complement of passengers. If your vehicle is out of warranty, it really doesn't matter, other than what the installer is willing to do and this is because of potential liability. As far as a plow, there are many potentials, but basically a 3/4 ton will take an 8' plow and a one ton (350/3500) will take a 9'er.

5. thanks for the help