1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do I keep headlight aim from lowering?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by mlars, Jan 13, 2011.

1. mlars

mlars Member

I have the lights that came before the new smartlight2, the ones with (2) 3/4 inch nuts to adjust the headlight aim. I can't keep them in adjustment.

I get them set where I want them and am as happy as can be that I can see, but 2 hours into my night they drop down where they were at before. The drivers side goes so low I can barely see the top of the light pattern over my hood. It seems they always go back to the same spot.

They aren't loose, they don't wiggle as I am driving and the nuts are tight when I go to readjust. When I adjust them I loosen the nuts way up so all the parts are free moving, then set them high so when I tighten them they pull down into place.

So is there a trick? What am I missing? Do I need to set them higher and hope they settle into an aim that is ok? This is really starting to tick me off!

2. adhiggie

adhiggie Member

I am having a similar problem. Except that I do not seem to be able to set the light high enough.

3. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

put a tack weld on it

4. mlars

mlars Member

Kinda hard to readjust then if it goes on another truck.

5. Diesel_1

Diesel_1 Junior Member
    from NJ

I just had the opposite problem. I had to aim the lights higher to see anything, and when I loosened the nuts it was hard to even move those lights up! Did you make sure the light bar itself is tight?

6. turfcarelawns

turfcarelawns Member

I have the same problem with both of my Boss blades. I still haven't figured out the best way to set them so I can see.

7. mlars

mlars Member

Yep, the light bar is tight, I just double checked.

8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

a tack weld is VERY easy to grind off and it IS a very good idea

9. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I am having some of the same issues with my new plow... I am gonna drill small holes after it is set right and run small self tapping sheet metal screws through the mounts

10. adhiggie

adhiggie Member

This may be a dumb question but how are you supposed to adjust the head lights? I may be doing it wrong.

11. Diesel_1

Diesel_1 Junior Member
    from NJ

Loosen the bracket bolt and move the entire lamp up or down. The brackets are really tight to move!!

12. mlars

mlars Member

Mine are really easy, as long as you loosen them up really well. They move almost too easy, it's a little tricky to make small adjustments. This plow is pretty new and has seen very little outside time. I'm sure after a few more years it won't move nearly as easy.

13. Diesel_1

Diesel_1 Junior Member
    from NJ

My 8' Super Duty is only 4 days old, and the lights are tight as hell! Pulled them up and can see at night now!

14. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

I have had the same prob. with all 3 of mine. I probably adjust the 2 - 3 tmes per season. Just wind up driving around with my brights on!

15. mlars

mlars Member

4 days old? Do you have these lights?

[​IMG]

I'm talking about these lights.

[​IMG]

16. s. donato

s. donato Senior Member

i had a similar issue till i realized it was user error... :rolleyes: :help:

i kept adjusting them when the blade was down. they looked perfect till i pulled the blade up and then was like dam!!! only took me two times to realize i was the problem. :mechanic:

its amazing how a ~1" drop with the blade up effects the height/aim. :dizzy:

17. mlars

mlars Member

Tack weld is a great idea if I was certain that plow was going to stay on the truck. This is a much more permanent solution I was looking for. The plow is a 7'6" V that was on a Chev 1500. Now I have a 2500HD and am going to get a bigger plow for this truck. Anything can be done with the proper amount of patience. But after looking at that option I think it would be very difficult to grind a weld out of the slot in the adjustment bracket and be able to readjust it to a new truck.

Obviously this is a fairly common problem and I was hoping someone had a trick to work around it. I guess there isn't and I will have to see what I can figure out to make it work.

18. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

19. Diesel_1

Diesel_1 Junior Member
    from NJ

Sorry, I missed the "before" in your original post. I thought you had the SmartLight 2.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  20. mlars

mlars Member

I searched and searched, but unless you luck out and put in the right keyword...

This looks like a great idea. Thanks!