1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do I install the shoes?

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by snow4me, Dec 16, 2008.

1. snow4me

snow4me Senior Member

Just wondering what the procedure is for installingthe shoes? I've got two gravel drives one is loose red granite so should I set the shoes to be hitting the ground with the plow blade dropped or raise it slightly and then install the shoes? I'm also not sure where this spacer bushing is supposed to go, my shoes came with one spacer each and stacks of washers and a locking pin to secure them.
  2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If you're using the shoes for gravel set them so the blade is slightly off the ground.

Search under plowing gravel and you'll have a lot of reading.
  3. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Proper way is to find a door that needs holding open and position them in front of it. :jester:

If the gravel isn't frozen with the shoes you're just going to leave 2 trenches along with pushing up gravel, IMO a poly or urethane cutting edge is better for gravel than the shoes. Or if the drives aren't long turn the DP on and back drag them for a few storms to get a packed base of snow.
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

You will have to adjust the shoes a few times to get the height you want above the gravel. The spacer can go wherever you need it. Raise the plow fully when making adjustments. I never use shoes. I just raise the plow 1/2" or so after it hits the ground and run it raised.I don't float the plow over gravel until the gravel is frozen SOLID.
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I have to agree the little gravel I have I back drag as much as possible.