1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how do i ground the starter solenoid?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by LILsnowblazer, Jan 2, 2010.

1. LILsnowblazer

LILsnowblazer Junior Member

there are 3 posts on the solenoid so how do i ground it if the small post recieves the wire from the switch and one post recieves a wire that runs to the pump and the finall post goes to the battery...i dont understand where to ground it..please help!
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What are you working on? Your snowplow, or your engine starter?
  3. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

You don't need to. It doesn't need a ground. The starter is the ground in the circuit.
  4. jrjr2u

jrjr2u Senior Member

Most likely you just ground the case and that completes the control side circuit.
    Bolt is solidly to the inner fender of the vehicle, or something similar that provides a good ground.
  5. LILsnowblazer

LILsnowblazer Junior Member

ok. i have a dual switch running to a meyer e47 and i cannot get the motor on the plow to enguage when i hit the toggle. i cannot find a wiring diagram anywhere. i dont know which wire goes where. i know that the black is right, red is up, and green is down, and i have a wire ran to the accessory switch...idk what to do.
  6. MNcasper

MNcasper Junior Member

7. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Are you trying to ground the solenoid or the pump motor? As jr said the solenoid grounds itself by the mounting tabs (make sure it's screwed to a METAL fender well, LOL). The motor just needs a lead to go back to the battery ground. Make sure you go back to the battery not just to the frame.
  8. festerw

festerw Senior Member