1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do I get older style joy stick to float?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by CP Paul, Nov 8, 2009.

1. CP Paul

CP Paul Member

I know this plow should have come with the Electro-Touch controller but it has this dash mounted older style stick.
    When I tap this one it moves so fast and hard it really shakes the truck. Seems to move too fast!
    Anyhow, when you move this type down it doesn't seem to float across the contours of the road. It can be set to put some of the weight of the truck, a bit above the road (really hard to hit cuz its so fast) or press hard enough to lift the front of the truck up a bunch.

How do I get this to float over the ground and move less severely?
  2. CP Paul

CP Paul Member

People are reading this but not answering.
    Did I write it wrong, is it unclear?
  3. caddytruck89

caddytruck89 Senior Member

The older stick design should be in float when it is pushed down and left down. Three detent. (1) up (2) middle (3) down float. Meyer plows have never had a downpressure option. So as far a lifting the truck off the ground or putting more weight on the truck, your S.O.L ??? As far a I know snoway has the only downpressure plows. Correct me If i'm wrong guys.
  4. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

You complaint it is too fast. There are many people that want a fast plow.
  5. CP Paul

CP Paul Member

Thanks for the help.
    Down and to the left, got it. I will give it a shot and see.

So not sure what you mean exactly about the three detent? What do you mean by "(1) up (2) middle (3) down float"? You got me on that one.

And I know that by lowering the blade as far down as the cylinder will allow, it shouldn't lift front of the truck up so much but, it does. Must take half of the weight off the truck front suspension.

This is why I am worried about pushing too hard when plowing and not floating over the driveways.
  6. Sonic Buzz

Sonic Buzz Member

Sounds like plow is heavy on front of truck what size truck do you have and what size is blade
  7. CP Paul

CP Paul Member

the plow isn't that heavy, it's 7.5 STP so its about 300 maybe 350 lbs and the truck is a 98 Silverado, regular cab, short box.
  8. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

The lifting front end is simply the weight of the blade removed from the suspension.
    Float, not down to left, just straight down and leave it down, blade will now float over bumps and dips without further input/
  9. CP Paul

CP Paul Member

No I don't think so. When the blade is on the ground fully then the weight of the plow is down but, I can push further down on the controller lifting the front of the truck up some.
    If I were to plow like that, I would for sure be plowing with the weight of the truck on the blade.
    Think of it like a backhoe that lifts the small front wheels off the ground while scraping with the bucket, just to add more force on the bucket.
  10. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

this is a chain lift blade correct?
  11. CP Paul

CP Paul Member

Yup it sure is.
  12. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Well you bought yourself one heck of a truck then.......... LOL

there's no way for a chain lift to apply any down pressure, it would have to be a direct lift.... atleast not that i've ever seen anyways.....

Something dosent sound right... are you sure the blades all the way on the ground... a simple check to make sure its in float is to jump out and see if you can push your lift cylinder down by hand... it cant be applying down pressure
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  13. CP Paul

CP Paul Member

Ya I thought about that too.
    Didn't make a whole lot of sense to me either. That is why I have written in here.

But there is one test I can do though to see if it is more than just the weight of the blade. You gave me the idea for this one.
    Measure the height of the front of the truck without the blade on. Then, put the blade on. Put it down all the way as I have said. See then if the front end sits higher or the same.
  14. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

So lets see, you have a 10 year old 1/2 ton truck with 350lbs hanging a couple of feet out in front of the front axle and you think that the front of the truck sits higher with the blade pinned up but sitting on the ground than with no blade at all???? And you think a chain lift system is giving you the lift in the front?

I think what your seeing is excessive nose dive on the front of the truck due to a weak front suspension along with the fact that you dont have any ballast in the rear to counter the weight of the blade and it causing an optical illusion or a perceived misconception.
  15. CP Paul

CP Paul Member

You both could be right. Makes the most sense, really.

Just seemed to me I was going to tear up someones driveway. Really did seem like I was adding more than the weight of the blade.