1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do I get my RUSTY EZ plow apart?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by thelawnbarber, Dec 31, 2011.

1. thelawnbarber

thelawnbarber Junior Member
    from Pa

I have an EZ mount Meyers snow plow. It is tubular and the plow mount is rusted to the part that mounts on the frame.It's been rusted fast ever since I've owned it-about 5 yrs now. I really would like to get it off!! My truck took a dump on me and I bought another one. I would like to put the plow on my new truck. I tried wrapping a chain around it and hooking the other end to a truck and "tugging" it off. It didn't budge. I've been soaking it in PB for about 2 days now and tried beating it with hammer. It's still stuck fast. I have the entire plow & mount off the truck now. I was wondering if I pour some acid on the tubes would that eat the rust away and free it up to pull it off? Or is this a bad idea?? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!
  2. chevboy167

chevboy167 Member

hi. i say no on the acid. too harsh! maybe try a torch and heat the truck side receiver tubes to expand them just a little. not too hot! then try tapping off with a good size hammer and block of wood as not to damage anything. or if you have an engine hoist handy, lay moldboard on its face, chain engine hoist up to truck side mount, raise untill there is good up pressure. but dont raise entire moldboard off the ground. just need good pulling pressure. then try heating the truckside tubes with torch. if things slide apart. let both plow parts air cool naturally. no water or any other fluids. that will weaken the steel. sand and repaint with a good primer & paint if needed. to prevent seizing again, apply anti seize to both tubes & receiver. hope you get her apart!
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

spray with lots of Fluid Film, then while some else is pulling on the lift frame tap the tubes with a hammer. It takes a while be patient but all the sudden it will be free.
  4. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

a torch will be your best friend here..

like was said, heat the truck side of the mount til its cherry red
    then hit it with a hammer while putting pressure on it
  5. thelawnbarber

from Pa

Unfortunately, I do not have a torch. I can't find Fluid Film so bought a can of Freeze Off. Hopefully that will work!
  6. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

take a cut off wheel and put a slice in both reciver tubes then weld it back together once you get it out. But what do u care if the mount is staying on the junker truck
  7. thelawnbarber

from Pa

I took the mount off too.

ADMSWELDING Senior Member

Pickup a propane torch at home depot and heat it.Should get it hot enought probably only cost around 25 bucks and you,ll have it for other stuff in the future.
  9. thelawnbarber

from Pa

I do have a little one. You mean the ones that sodder pipe? The flame doesn't go that big. Do you think that would get it hot enough? I guess I could try it!
  10. TwiceStroked

TwiceStroked Member

Use Mapp gas if Ur using a little torch it burns Hotter.
  11. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

The last time I had that happen to a trailer hitch it took a cutting torch to get the insert and hitch to come apart and I lost a 6in drop Reese insert in the process. That mistake cost me $40 to correct, I would bite the bullet now and take it somewhere to get it cut apart and just get a used tower off E-Bay so you can get the new truck up and running as quickly as possible.Grease is your friend and it's cheap. You don't need to slather it on just take a rag, squirt some on from a grease gun and give male ends of the tower a light coating.
  12. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

You can spend a lot of time heating and beating only to find that you are now pissed and bald from puling your hair out. save your self aggrevation and cut the truck ends off with a cut off tool or a die grinder with a cut off wheel, or what I like even better is a 4" grinder with a cut off wheel. works very well. You could also try a sawzall. But any way cut the reciever mounts off the plow lift frame being carefull not to cut into the frame tube. Once you have it off clean the ends VERY good and at least primer them. get new mounts for your new truck, use antisieze or grease in the mounts befor you slid the frame in. Then remove it at least once a year ( twice is better) and regrease or antisieze the tubes this way they will not rust fast.
  13. Murphy4570

Murphy4570 Member

I've had to use the torch to cut those tubes completely apart to get the thing apart, destroying the truckside hitch part in the process. Bearing grease works wonders at preventing this problem.

I myself am glad I have the Custom Classic mount, and not the EZ Classic mount for just this reason.
  14. Canplow

Canplow Senior Member

Fluid Film ! let it sit thet use more!It smell good too! alittle for plow alittle for me! weeeeeeeeeeee
  15. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

sorry to say it, but a torch really is your best bet. maybe find a shop that can help for a small fee. buying gas tanks isn't cheap.

put and add on craigslist looking for someone with a torch to help.

if you can mod the mount to get behind the tubes, but a tube of the same size in that will give you something to pound on pushing the tubes out rather than trying to pull them. that would be most efficient. i dotn remember what the back side of a meyer mount looks like.