1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do I get in on the bidding process?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ksquared, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Ksquared

Ksquared Junior Member

I have the Exp., I have the equipment, But I dont have the knowledge or connections to get in on commercial bidding processes. Manchester NH

2. Lily

Lily Junior Member

Many times its just pure luck. Most of the times we have gotten contacted is through Lord knows how? That is the scary part of it, you can have a new maintenance company roll in anymore and not know you or have you on their list- and bye bye to an account you did for years!!! It happens so you can't just scoff when you get a call from a National you never heard of. Most are legit. However beware of fishers and read all of the terms, some are setup to dupe you into not being able to make a profit!!!!! They are getting more and more clever and if you don't know your numbers or are a bit green to it all, it can really come back and bite you.

And a lot of the big boxes are not willing to commit to a multi year contract so you can go through quite a bit of companies in a ten year span. The first thing I would think is to at least have a decent listing in yellowpages and superpages. Other than doing good work and building up relationships when you do get a contract, its hard if there are a lot of good contractors in your area, I don't know what to say as they all work different. Its a downright mystery at times. That being said, the days of word of mouth for doing exceptional work are being pushed out the door. Its a giant crap shoot anymore, very scary. Best of luck to you. SIMA may help too, even though we are not a member some say it helps. Its a very hard game to play, I really do feel sorry for those who are now being forced into working with Nationals and or just being introduced to them and blindsided as in case with Wal Marts. Its going to be quite a shock for many who never dealt with them or don't even see it coming. Promote and make contacts where you can, online is a good start. But the blunt truth of it all is, sometime it just comes down to luck or being in the game with these maintenance companies for a long time. I don't envy anyone from the outside trying to break in, which then plays a factor in the prices being driven even lower! Ugggh, brutal cycle.

3. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

go from door to door on the properties you want to get. I also send mailings to place I try to get into or management companies. Luck is a big part of it too! Or just cold calling to try to get a name.