1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do I get an 11 pin plow connector to fit my 9 pin Ford one? Just got a used plow.

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by micromachine, Dec 18, 2010.

1. micromachine

micromachine Junior Member
    from NH

Just got a used MM1 plow (with the electric-hydro pump on the headgear). My 2001 F350 4x4 was already previously set up for a MM1 plow and had two connectors hanging out of the grill but it has been a while since I owned a plow for it so I bought a used MM1 setup off craigslist, mounted fine to my truck until I went to plug in the connectors. The first one went in fine (the one with two wires) but the next one didn't fit at all, I noticed 11 wires on the plow side of the connector and on the Ford connector only 9 wires. The pins don't quite line up with the ones on the plow side... Not sure what to do about it... but I did visit NAPA and bought an 11 wire plug that will seemed to fit the plow side okay, but now I am not sure how to wire it in to the truck side.

Two questions:

1. Am I doing this right? (By trying to splice the 11 wire connector into the truck side...even though there are only 9 wires on the truck side)
    2. If so, what wires go where (Is there a wiring diagram showing the pin outs?)

Thanks for your help!
    Matt

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Did you not notice that there's also a third connecting plug on the plow side that your truck does not have?

On a 9 pin both the lighting and controls are in the same single 9 pin connector plug. However on an 11 pin setup there's three plugs. One for the power cables (same as your 9 pin), one with three pins for the controls, and the third 11 pin plug for all the lighting. So it's not as simple as just changing the 9 pin truck side plug over to fit the 11 pin plow side plug. You still wouldn't have the control functions since they're in another plug entirely.

You need to convert the plow side over to a 2 plug system to match the truck.

3. micromachine

from NH

Oops, I got them mixed up. I just double checked and it was the truck side that has 11 wires coming to the connector, the 9-wires are on the plow side.

My truck only has two sets of wires coming out to the plow, one is 11-wire and one has two big wires.

The plow side has two sets of wires... One 9 pin connector, and one is a big two wire connector.

The truck doesn't appear to have three wires, just two... Not sure how to mate the plow wires to the truck ones...is there a diagram/chart showing how to adapt them or a special adapter to go between a 9 pin and an 11 pin?

The connector I bought for the truck at NAPA is a 9 pin one that matches what the plow is. I have 11 wires though on the truck... :confused:

I appreciate the help!

Matt

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

How many connector pins are in the controller plug inside the truck Matt?

5. ramrod98

ramrod98 Member
    from NEPA

i am wondering if indeed you are using 11 pins on the truck side ? I have the 12 pin connector on both my truck andd the plow side on my mm1, but only 9 pins are actually connected, or hooked into that connector. if this is the case just get a 9 pin connector for your truck to match the plow connector.

6. micromachine

from NH

I count 11 wires from the truck that go into the harness/connector. I have all 11 wires cut from the connector now, as I was going to try and wire in the 9-wire connector I bought at Napa but I'm not sure which wires go where now... On the truck side there are 11 female holes on the connector I cut out, though I'm not sure if they used all 11 female pins or not.

In the 5 pictures below

Picture 1 is my truck/headgear
    Picture 2 are the truck side wires (I cut the 11 female pin connector off)
    Picture 3 is a close up of the truck side wiring (the 11 female pin connector is off)
    Picture 4 is a close up of the plow-side connector with 9 pins
    Picture 5 is the 11-pin connector I cut off.

Thanks!

Matt

DSC_0113.jpg

DSC_0114.jpg

DSC_0115.jpg

DSC_0117.jpg

DSC_0120.jpg

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  7. micromachine

from NH

More pictures

A couple more pictures,

Picture 1 is an alternative view of the 11-pin female harness I cut off from the truck-side
    Picture 2 shows the new-in-bag 9-pin truck-side harness that I bought at NAPA that mates perfectly with the plow-side harness, but I don't know how to wire it to the 11 loose wires now hanging out of my truck grille...

Thanks again for all your help everyone.

Matt

DSC_0119.jpg

DSC_0121.jpg

8. ramrod98

ramrod98 Member
    from NEPA

the wire color should match to the 9 pin on the plow. open the coating behind that plug and match color to color. 9 of them should match. the other two wires i do not know what they are for. pm me and i will send the schematic i have if it will help you. My plow is older minute mount 1. it is the type with 2 relays under the hood of the truck. i have the schematic for the 9 pin in front of me but don't know how to put it up here. i can email it to you if you contact me with your email. i will scan it now into my computer from the book in case you want it. this book also must have the 12 pin schematic. i will look and see

9. micromachine

from NH

That would be great... I clicked your name but the PM thing doesn't show up as an option.

Thanks
    Matt

10. ramrod98

ramrod98 Member
    from NEPA

I emailed it to you. Not sure how good it came out as i sent it right out first before checking it well. let me know if you need more. I see now that i did not get the complete schematic for some reason in my scanner. but the plug part is there for both 9 pin and 12 pin with the wires.

11. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

Looks like a 3 plug insta-act truck side set up with a 2 plug sehp plow, look under your hood and you will see an isolation module that the truck side harnesses plug into, you need to convert the plow side to a three plug set up, I'll bet that you've got another 3 pin control harness and plug somewhere behind that grill.

12. micromachine

from NH

I looked but didn't see either. As far as I can tell my 2001 F350 only has two plugs coming out and I traced the 11-wires back and they appear to go all the way to the joystick. I don't see any special modules. :confused:

Matt

13. buddymanzpop

11 pin

Can you get a part # off that harness? Looks a lot like a 26357, are the 11 wires colored:
    white
    purple
    light blue
    gray
    brown
    black
    white/yellow
    blue/orange
    black/white
    2 @ black/orange

Log on to www.fishersnowplows.com on the upper right hand corner choose the Esearch option and when the search comes up type in No. 33372 , you will get the two plug system schematics, but, there is only 7,9 and 12 pin set ups.

14. Slow down......

......and stop cutting things you may not need to cut. I'm sure you are frustrated. You need to positively determine what setup you have on your truck.

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Better look again because that is clearly a 3 plug setup as there's no control function wires in the 11 pin connector, which I already explained are in their own 3 pin plug on a 3 plug system.

What you're doing will not work. Shame you jumped the gun and cut the plug off. :rolleyes:

16. buddymanzpop

11 pin snafu

Open the hood and take some pictures of the wiring and components and post them.

17. micromachine

from NH

Here are a few pictures:

Picture 1: Joystick in cab
    Picture 2: A little plug that I thought went to a block heater but maybe not? I can't seem to trace it all the way back, could this be a home-made "third connector"??? I bought the truck a few months ago and maybe the guy before me wired it in?
    Picture 3-5: Misc pictures of the engine bay.

DSC_0360.jpg

DSC_0363.jpg

DSC_0365.jpg

DSC_0371.jpg

DSC_0373.jpg

18. micromachine

from NH

I agree that it is too bad I jumped the gun, but before I found this website we cut it off after NAPA told me that I needed a 9 pin harness to fit the one on my plow. I was following their suggestion, until I realized that I was in over my head and that I had more then 9 wires in my harness... I'm glad I found you guys, you have been a big help.

I'm still looking for the third plug, but now am wondering if it has been in front of me the whole time, and I just didn't realize it. I found a plug that looks like an outlet connector, which I thought went to a block heater but do not see a block heater in the engine bay. The wires disappear behind the radiator and I don't see exactly where they go. Could this be redneck plow wiring from the guy who owned the truck before me? Could this be the third plug??? The outlet could provide three pins...

DSC_0362.jpg

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's possible you have a hacked up harness Matt. You're original post reads like you owed this truck and had a plow on it yourself previously. That's obviously not the case now.

I don't see an Iso module under the hood from what we can see in your pics so perhaps it's a 2 plug system that someone hacked an 11 pin lead onto at some point. Did you follow the harness back to see if the 11 pin lead was added in to the existing harness anywhere? It's possible. It's also possible someone rigged the 3 pin 120V plug on a third harness of a three plug system as I've seen much worse expert work at hand. But you should take whatever means necessary to follow that harness and see where it really goes to rule it out.

Also, look around behind the driver side headlight to see if there's a ball of wires stuffed in there with a couple inline relays. If you find that then it's a 2 plug system that had an 11 pin plug hacked on the end of it.

Basically, until the system is positivity identified you or we can't proceed any further with which direction you'll require to make the truck (or plow) compatible with each other.

20. micromachine

from NH

Sorry, didn't mean to mislead anyone in my post. I should have phrased it that it has been a while since "anyone" has had a plow on it. When I bought the truck (used) it had the fisher MM plow mount (without the plow blade or headgear) on the truck and what I thought was a 2-wire harness behind the grill. So I searched craigslist and found a cheap 2-wire plow that I thought would work on it and bought it. I never tried plugging it all in until last week, and that is when I realized something was wrong...

I'll look again for anything that might identify the unit I have on my truck and will trace that electric plug down (which has a green,black, and white wire on it) to see exactly where it goes. I have not found the isolation module yet though. Where are those generally mounted?

Thanks again-

-Matt