1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do I find out going rates for my area?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by CK82, Sep 3, 2006.

1. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

I have bid a few places and usually end of being on the high end which is fine with me better than the low end I guess, and I am wondering how do you go about finding out the hourly rates for your area/city? Also, how do you set your rates for plowing with say an atv, truck, or skidsteer? Obviously each piece of equipment will work better in different situations, but how do you go about setting a hourly rate for this based on your area. I feel that with all these start-up companies bidding on jobs, that the pricing would be all over the place. I know that each company has different levels of overhead, and therefore would be priced differently, but in the end when it comes down to it, you would think in order to gain business a company would need similar pricing to its competitors.

2. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

i'd ask around what some are paying for the current service they have and you'll have numbers to work by.

each area is different,for me its $100/hr for my truck or $20-25 per push whatever the customer prefers now mind you thats low to some but thats going rate for my area and i have to work around that.

pricing per inch isn't popular in my area so its rare to see it done but many on this site swear by,i use per push for residential and per hour on commercial since for me thats easier once again others have different systems.

3. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

First put your plow in the garage or under a tarp or something. Then call up all the local contractors and ask them to come give you an estimate on your driveway!! lol, just kidding. Pricing is one of those things that are more trial and error than anything else. If people aren't taking you up on your bids, try lowering them a little, or perhaps change your sales approach. Not everyone uses the same pricing structure, figure out what works for you and your area. The best advice i may of gotten from this site was this (i forgot who said it, sorry), "Don't sell your price, sell your service."

4. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i agree, you'll find out with trial and error. also, if you are in the business, you are the going rate.