1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do I diagnose slow plow, motor or pump?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by gunsworth, Jan 20, 2009.

1. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

I have a standard duty 7.5 foot straight blade that is going on 4 years old (RT3) aside from fluid and one line its all original parts. In the begining of the season it was working strong as could be. Now it is real hesitant to angle under load, much more than it used to be. Im guessing it is the pump going or the motor, is there a way to isolate which one it is? I dont want to wait until I am left with nothing...

Also it may or may not be related but every once in a while when I press the button to angle it one way it wil twitch the opposite way first (even unloaded) is this a boss thing, not a big deal just kinda annoying.

2. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

I would go for the motor. If your happy with the plow have a spare electric motor in stock, check battery stength and all electric connections. If possible take a jumper cample from battery to elec motor and see if it turns strong. Have someone operate the control, if its weak add jumper cable to the circuit ,if it spins better the problem might be electrical

3. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

Ill try what you said, but I probably should get a motor for a spare just in case since it wont last forever. Where should I go for one, I am usually all about supporting the local guy but online is often so much cheaper its hard to spend the extra coin