1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How Do I compete??

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by ffmedjoe, Feb 13, 2014.

1. ffmedjoe

ffmedjoe Junior Member
    from WI

So I went and bought another plow the other day because I'm sick of using my tractor to clean off my driveway. The last time I did it, it was -20. I had a snow plow business for 5 years when I was younger and I think next year I'm going to try to get back in it. The local guys that are around here charge about $15-$20 per driveway. My driveway is about 250ft long by about 30ft wide. Years ago i would charge $35-$45 for this kind of driveway. They are guys who own other businesses, one owns a local feed mill and the other owns the local repair shop. So plowing is something they do for "fun." My question is how on earth is someone supposed to compete with this? The only thing i can offer is that they don't plow overnights and it's hard to get them to come out on the weekends. Or do I drive to a different town about 15 min away?

Any thoughts?

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Don't do it. Jmo.

3. MR. Elite

MR. Elite Senior Member
    from E Town

well, considering the fact that the other guys don't do overnights or weekends…. Then U advertising that U can have there drive or lot done anytime 24-7, should b all U need..?? But then again, depending on Ur demographic in Ur area, maybe some of those custy's jus don't care when it gets cleared???
    Kinda had 2 say without a lil more info of input??

4. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

All it takes is for one good winter like we are having this year. There are more 15 to 20 dollar driveway guys around here than I care to think about, but my minimum is 35 dollars. With the big winter my phone is ringing off the hook, cause their guy can't make it, or doesn't know where else he can stack snow, or is just flat broken down again for the 3rd time this week.

5. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

$35-$45 for that size of a driveway is dirt cheap! I can get $95+ for that size. I wouldn't get back into it with those prices, There is no money in it.

6. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Correct!....

7. Cbsnow

Cbsnow Junior Member

Exactly....you are trying to make money right! There will always be someone that is cheaper out there. I just wish the customers that want those prices well and move on.

8. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

should have bought a cab for the tractor!

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

you don't compete with them ,you go out and get your own stuff and pump up the benefits of your company.

10. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Your name has me wondering, are you a full time FF? That is tough for a one man show, but it's something I have worked hard to negotiate

11. ffmedjoe

ffmedjoe Junior Member
    from WI

PT FF full time Medic. It can be a chore, but i have enough time off that i can juggle. I did, up until last year work 48 at the firehouse and the other 60-70 hrs a week on our dairy farm.... so it will almost be like taking a vacation!!

12. ffmedjoe

ffmedjoe Junior Member
    from WI

Plus..... I'm the boss where i work so last week when it snowed.... cough cough.. I'm sick

13. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah well remember that if the powers that be know what you do outside, it may not take too long to have misuse of sick time!

14. ffmedjoe

ffmedjoe Junior Member
    from WI

With the company I work for..... My sick time is the least of their worries!