1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do I "back blade" the proper way?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Zack1978, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Zack1978

Zack1978 Member
    from NJ

Hi everyone,
    I own a 1979 Toyota 4x4 short bed pick up, with a 6.5 Fisher plow, it has a underhood hyd system. Well two weeks ago when I went to plow my first driveway(other than my own), and I am very confused how to do it. Two rows of the driveway were done with a snowblower, so I backed in and pushed everything else out. HOwever there was a large area in front of the garage. I pulled in the driveway straight, and drove to the door, and dropped the blade and went in reverse. All it did was pack the snow down, and it didn't move it out of the way. So what am I doing wrong? When you push forward, the plow gets right down to the blacktop. But I don't understand how to do a driveway? Any ideas or tips?

Thank you,
    Zack

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

In simple terms "perfect".
    Thats about all that you can do depending on the time of day the sun should melt it later.

3. MOW ME OVER

MOW ME OVER Senior Member

When I back blade from a building I will actually drop the blade at a point that is a little longer than my truck and push up towards the building stopping about 3 feet from the building or door. Then I pick the blade up as high as it goes drive forward 2 or 3 feet and drop the blade again and then reverse away from the building pulling the snow out to where I can then push it away in a forward gear.
    I have found that by doing it this way you do not pack the snow down with the tires but I also suspect that having a heavy 9' blade helps to keep it down on the surface possibly better then a small blade would.

Or you could just get a back blade set up on the backside of your plow if you do a lot of driveways and that will solve your problem also.

4. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

Yup, what you need to do is go forward and push it all forward, but leave enough room so then you can "backblade" the pile. Going forward will scrap the snow up, and then just backblade the whole pile. Otherwise that's about as good as it gets.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You can do that, but if you push to much or it's wet with your plow being a little lite you might leave a hump in front of the door.

6. Rgory

Rgory Member

You may want to look into a back drag cutting edge. This goes behind the regular cutting edge and is angled towards the pavement to help scrape the snow while your in reverse. I dont know if there is a production model made for fishers, but I do know that Western makes one, and there are several other people around here that could point you to towards a helpful hint.

Or just push forward and pull it all back... Good luck

Ryan

7. go plow

go plow Senior Member

your not doing any thing wrong, i think its just because you have a small plow

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Exactly. Use the same technique with a 9' and watch the difference.

9. Zack1978

Zack1978 Member
    from NJ

Thank you everyone!

I do have one more question. With the driveway in question, if two rows had not been done with a snowblower how should I have attacked the driveway? Should I have just backed in and pushed out? What about the packing down of the tire lines?

Thanks,
    Zack

PS: Also what does it mean to stack the snow? And how do I do it correctly?

10. cward05

cward05 Senior Member
    from CT

hey zack...stacking is what you do when you come to the end of the driveway to push the snow into a pile. you have to keep some forward motion while lifting the blade simulanteously (not too soon though otherwise the snow will all be dumped before you want it to be). as you do it more, you will get used to this technique. make sure to keep forward motion otherwise your truck might start to slide or won't be able to drive forward anymore due to the weight of the snow in front of the blade. as for the snow tracks for your tires, you have two options: you can either drive forward and eliminate the problem of packed down snow, or you can backup and plow the snow toward the end of the driveway (and/or across the street IF LEGAL). i have a steep driveway and have to do this often, but my 7'6" blade doesn't leave much snow behind anyway. hope this helps.

11. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

yes the weight makes a huge difference as much as the water content in the snow itself. It is just fact that the heavy blades just get down better. As far as riding over your driveway and packing your tracks, if you not pushing forward or off to the side there isn't much you can do.

12. yellowsnow

yellowsnow Junior Member
    from midwest

I tried the backdrag blade this year and was unimpressed to say the least. I do like others and push the snow forward, and back drag the pile. I'll take a second and sometimes third backdrag swipe to get right down to pavement.

13. westwind

westwind Member

14. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 Senior Member

the only reason you are not pulling any snow up, is casue you have asmall plow.....my 8 FT fisher back drags much better than my 7.5 fisher, thats all it is, youre doing nothing wrong, get a bigger/heavier plow and youll see!

15. dubeb31

dubeb31 Member

i bought one...and if you do driveways that need back dragging....snowman plows are the only way to go.....

16. WOOFSPLOW

WOOFSPLOW Member

I have just about the same set-up but it seems to drag a little better than yours. It might depend what kind of snow you had that day (wet) Most of the time I bring my son along to take care of the garage entrances:)