1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do I adjust the down speed on my 22?

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by ChicagoPlower, Dec 16, 2005.

1. ChicagoPlower

ChicagoPlower Senior Member

We just purchased a Sno-way 6'8" 22 for our Sonoma. I can't figure out how to adjust the down speed. It drops like a brick. The manual doesn't have any explaination, and neither does our dealer. I was hoping it would be as easy as our Western, does anybody have any advice? Thanks

2. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

Yea my st drops real fast also. I really don't mind though, it hasn't had any adverse effects whatsoever.

3. ChicagoPlower

Thanks for the info. The main problems I have with the blade dropping so fast is waking up our customers at two in the morning, and trying to lower the blade just a bit instead of a full drop while driving. It's all or nothing. I'm going to try to contact Sno-way directly if possible. Good luck with the plowing in Buffalo the rest of the year. You've probably got your hands full with lake effect snow like always. We've had one ten inch storm and three 1-2", all of them fluff which was nice. Take care

4. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

It's just a gravity drop; no real control. You can hit the "up" button quick before the blace hits the ground, but it rocks the truck pretty good and I'm guessing that it's not too good for the plow frame.

5. rhkfwain

rhkfwain Senior Member
    from FWA, IN

22 Series Drop Speed

Chicago Plower,

Thank you for your recent purchase of a 22 Series Sno-Way for your Sonoma. We value you as a customer.

The drop speed on your plow is not "adjustable". However, there is an orifice fitting in the valve block and you can do one of the following to change the drop speed.

1. Contact your dealer and he can order an orifice kit from Sno-Way, with smaller holes in the fitting. By installing an orifice fitting with a smaller hole, you reduce the velocity at which the hydraulic fluid is traveling, thus reducing the drop speed.

2. You could have your dealer install an adjustable flow control in the circuit. Sno-Way does not supply an adjustable flow control but I know that a dealer in my territory installed one on a 26 Series for one of his customers this year. Adjustable flow control will cost more but it has a "dial" that allows you to adjust the hydraulic fluid velocity (speed).

Hope that this helps and thank you again for the confidence you have shown in our company by purchasing your 22 Series Plow.

6. ChicagoPlower

Thanks for your input guys. This has been very helpfull. I'm going to take your advice Rick, and get some information about the adjustable flow control.
    - Pat

7. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

Hi Pat,
    Yea we've been pretty busy here in Buffalo the past 36 hours. :dizzy: I have to say the one advantage to the blade dropping like a brick is that the cutting edge tends to go right through any hard-pack where it can do the most good. :bluebounc I haven't had any customer complaints about the noise.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Have had good luck with the Snoway Orifice kit. Varying results with the adjustable valve. The factory speed saves time and does help get the blade to the ground in icy contions

9. ChicagoPlower

I've got a question for Rick Knuth

Hi Rick, thanks for being so helpfull with my question a couple days ago. I wish my local dealer was as knowledgeable. One more question about the orfice kit being installed on my MT 22. Since the kit regulates the hydrolic flow to the plow, does the side to side movement slow down as well as the down speed. And roughly, how much. Thanks again, Pat

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The orifice kit does not affect angle speed

11. ChicagoPlower

Thanks Basher, The plow doesn't actually drop too slow with the kit? If it's at a normal rate, I'm gonna have my dealer install it.

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I have no issue with the factory drop speed, but I wouldn't call the smaller orifices slow.

13. rhkfwain

rhkfwain Senior Member
    from FWA, IN

Drop Speed

Chicago Plower,

Basher is right, it will only affect the drop speed not the angle speed. The orifice kit that your dealer purchases will have more than one orifice size in it so you should be able to find a speed that you like. As mentioned earlier, one of my dealers installed a small adjustable flow control on one of his customers plows and this allows you to dial the drop speed in exactly where you want it.

14. ChicagoPlower

Thanks again Basher and Rick, I'm going to call my dealer now to set up an appointment to have the kit installed. Happy Holidays- Pat