1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do bolt on mounts work?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by birddseedd, Nov 27, 2012.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

Not the bolting part obviously, but yoru frame is a square tube. in order to get access to a bolt on the inside of the frame you would need a hole on the other side big enough to slip in a socket.

Mine is welded on, quick, cheap, dirty and a real frickin pain to work with, and most likely a bad idea to start with, but say i change that?

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Bumper off. Nuts or bolts welded to sticks for reaching in and to stop them from turning. That's how my Fisher mount went on, but different brands have different instructions.

3. birddseedd

that actualy makes alot of sense, now i feel silly.

how do you feel about burning holes vs drilling?

4. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Not as clean, but it will work. I think the heat is bad for the frame or something. You'll make a mess if you suck at it. A plasma cutter would be more precise, but I'll stick to drilling. I would never buy a truck if I saw torch burn holes in the frame.

Most mounts require very little drilling these days.

5. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Drilled holes would be better if possible because they will have better edges on them. However, you may not even need to drill additional holes-depends on the truck and the frame. The only installs I've ever done already had plow mounts on them, I was just moving a new mount into place, I think I only had to drill a couple holes-most of them were there already.

6. RJ lindblom

RJ lindblom Senior Member

There are three ways that come to mind right off the bat. 1st, A nut welded to the tube. 2nd the bolt runs through the tubing. 3rd and pretty common is a tab of flat bar, angle iron or channel iron welded to the tube.

Really not that difficult of a concept.

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I thought you already had a plow on a 1500 dodge there birdie,,,

8. birddseedd

I do. i just dont like it being welded on. want to get holes drilled, take it off. cleanup the welded areas put a few layers of paint and bolt it on.

what bolt pattern is used for mounts?

9. dieselss

Dude look at fishers website they tell you all you need to know.

10. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Probably the pattern that is drilled into the mount you already welded on.

11. birddseedd

mount was custom.

12. dieselss

Thx peteo. Sometimes some pple. They really need to try and buy common sense

13. birddseedd

there is no bolt pattern..... its a piece of flat stock flat against the frame and welded.... i woudl like to know what types of things to look for in teh bolt pattern in case i get a proper mount some day, new plow, or whatever, and dont want to have to add extra holes.

14. dieselss

If you get a proper mount it should come with install instructions that you should clearly read and then take to someone else to install b/c it seams that you got passed by when they were handing out the commen sence...your not Gunna get a new mount.

15. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Thumbs Up.....

16. dieselss

Thx bossman

17. 03fordboss

03fordboss Member
    from Iowa

Got any pictures of your welded on mount?

18. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

No problem. One thing I've found in life is that common sense isn't very common.

19. birddseedd

I ask quesitons about plans to get a proper mount,,,, and you pople say im not goign to get a proper mount... if i did not want to,,,, why would i ask about it?

you people are impossible

20. dieselss

No..you sir are impossible