1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do 1500 handle plowing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by 02Chevy, Feb 26, 2006.

1. 02Chevy

02Chevy Junior Member

I have a 02 Chevy 1500 regular cab short bed and I was wondering how good they push snow. Also I was looking at a Western plow for it because every one I ask about Meyers just has bad things to say. This is my first year snowplowing for the company I work for and was going to try to get my own accounts for next year.

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

JGLandscaping on here as a 96 1500 extended cab that he has plowed with since he got the truck, plows great for him, i may be buying it from him later this year, just my .02

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

4. Up North

Up North Senior Member

I have a 2000 Chev Silverado 1/2 ton that does just fine. The plow is a Blizzard 760LT (made for 1/2 tons) and does the job just fine.

Buck

plowday.JPG

5. btrussell

btrussell Member

Go for it

I'd say go for it that is considering you have no warranty left on your truck. If you are still under warranty then hanging a plow may void it due to the GVWR. Look on your door to see what your front weight rating is and then look at the suggested weight ratings for the plows or talk to your dealer (plow dealer) about it. I have an 89 chevy long bed and I almos went with meyers and they clearly didn't want my business. Due to the weight rating the guy told me he could sell me the plow but they would not install it and that it would void the warranty of the plow. Then I found a western dealer and they did the install and were goiing to put timbrens on my truck but my bump stop brackets were too rusty so they just turned up the t bars and down the road i went, warranty and all. So a 7'6" would be fine on your truck just be careful about the warranty on your truck unless you happen to have the plow prep package(not sure if it comes on half tons). That's just my advice. Also if you are worried about weight you could always go for a lighter plow like a light duty western or a snowway but i guess it depends on how much plowing you will be doing. Good luck on what ever you decide!
    Brian

6. ght1098

ght1098 Member

This was my first year plowing with my 02 reg cab 1500 and let me tell you it was great! I wish it had a trans temp gauge, but I'll be adding that shortly (parts are on order). Be smart about how you plow and don't "beat" on it and it will give many years of service.

7. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Reg cab short bed would be an AWESOME combo! Great for small driveways and tight quarters.

A nice 8' plow and some Timbren's up front. Add a bit of rear balast and your set!

8. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I think an 8' might be a little too big. I would stay with 7.5' and under IMO.

9. harleyrider67

harleyrider67 Member

Hey 02chevy,

I'd say go for it also. My 1500 Ram does a super job, no problems at all.

I would say a 7-6 plow will do the job just fine I would maybe steer clear of the 8 footer. I had timbrens installed and I add around 600# for ballast and the truck plows like a champ. My BOSS dealer had no problem installing the 7-6 for me, he gave me name of others that had the same setup as I do and I checked with a few of them first and they were all satisfied so I went for it. Not sorry at all. As for the warranty, I am on good terms with the Service Manager at my local dealership and he told me that he would help me out if a problem were to occur.....:)

Good luck, I think the reg.cab short box is an awesome combo, have fun with your plowing....:)

10. 02Chevy

02Chevy Junior Member

Thanks Eveyone
    I do have timbrens in front and rear and hellwig helper springs in rear so waight is no problem. As about my warranty thats been gone for a while. So I will be saving my pennies for a plow for next year.

11. rico

rico Member

I have an 02 regular cab short bed 1500 with the plow package. Chevy did offer it back then. I have a 7.5 Western Unimount pro. It does well on driveways. Definetly no design well for lots. Just remember to get some ballast for the rear. They need it. Hopefully you changed tires, those Steeltex stink in the snow. The timberns made a hugh difference.

12. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Just remember, an 8' plow is only 30-50lbs (depending on brand) heavier than a 7'6" plow.

A 7'6" plow at full angle barely clears the front track width of these full size trucks.

13. 02Chevy

02Chevy Junior Member

rico

Yea I got rid of those tires I have firestone mud terrain now

14. DeereFarmer

True, it does depend on the brand. My 7.5' Fisher clears my front width pretty well, but I do not have too many tight spots to have to work around. I saw a 1500 with an 8' poly and it seemed to sag quite a bit even with Timbrens. Ahh man... now you got me thinking of putting an 8 footer on my truck!:dizzy: payup

15. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Heck, you have one of the lightest 7'6" plows out there. You could go a LOT heavier and still be fine. Yours weighs in at only 487lbs. At least thats what my Fisher brochure states.

For a 1/2ton, I'd suggest keeping your plow weight under 800lbs. But make sure you use proper balast.

A poly plow, depending on the manufacturer, can get pretty heavy. I'd stay away from poly on a 1/2 ton.

Or you could just go with wings to get the extra width.

In any event, in pains me to see all those 7'6" plows out there barely covering their track width.

16. DeereFarmer

Yup, you are right. Never really though of going bigger, but don't really NEED it. I just love this setup as far as 1/2 tons go. It is so much better than I ever would have thought.

17. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

get a 8" for sure, Just got into plowin this year and put a 8' arctic poly which is heavier than steel on my 06 1500 silverado. Some guy's say it's a little much for the truck. When lookin at the brochures a 8' only weighs no more than 50 pounds and 50 pounds will not make or break the truck. I think 8' is still too small. Can't even plow around corners without the back tires poppin the curb. Can't even think how you would plow with a 7'6 without kissin your mirrors goodbye.I run about 1300 pounds of ballest in the back behind the axle, 14 bags of 40KG salt and the truck feels good. After the first 2 lots when the salt is gone then with no ballest a 1500 will need some help in the front, I think my back tires practially come off the ground going over bumps but they I fly back to the shop and grab more salt.

18. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:rolleyes: Arctic only makes the 8ft, 96" poly plow in the Heavy duty model, Complete Weight is #650.http://www.arcticsnowplows.com/Tsnowplow.htm

So, lets see how much your making your 1500 carry.

Enter your weight # let's use #200 lbs for your self, o.k.

200--------------you
    650--------------plow
    1300--------------counter weight
    + 250-------------- miscellaneous gear and a full tank of fuel
    ---------------------------
    2300lbs conservatively... in a 1/2 ton no problems:salute:

19. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

thats what i was going to get after i crashed my sonoma nd got my s10...i ploiw in an s10/sonoma and have for two years now...i say buy the snoway mt26 or a western and get out there...some guys will say no...but i have 1/3 the money they do into equipt. and still make as much as them..and will be out runnin jst as long...good luck with it

try to get something now cheap since its end of the season

cheers

20. PaleRider

PaleRider Senior Member

Another 1500 rider

:waving: All,
    I push with an 01' Dodge Ram 1500 shortbed, I have no problems. My plow is a 7'6" Western standard. I picked up a Snow Ex tailgate spreader. Also I added a set of Timberns just for a litte extra. The guy that I sub for says " When your down with that I want to buy it! " Anyone daring enough to put a V-box in a 1500?

Pale Rider :gunsfiring: