1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How disappointed will I be?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by SnowFakers, Jul 13, 2015.

1. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

I already know i'll be disappointed but....

I bought a 98 k1500 to serve as a daily driver and as a possible backup plow rig to my 350 with V plow. I figure this is the best time of the year to buy used plows so I started to look a little bit. I honestly don't want to or plan to use this truck as a plow truck but its always better to have the option if a situation came up. That being said I don't want anything to heavy for the truck, just something to get me through a storm if need be. The truck has the 305 motor in it so I figure that will be easier on the front end than the 350 but not by much. Doesn't look there are many BOSS options for this truck to compliment my V plow, so I guess that really only leaves Fisher. I originally thought of the homesteader but they don't make the required mount and its pretty lightweight... Are there any lightweight poly MM2 plows that I missed? Any other cheapish options to look at? Im not really sure what to do here, a few years newer on the truck and I could have gotten a nice poly Boss blade but I can't seem to find a mount or wiring. Thoughts?

2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

For a backup set up look for a used Meyer EZ-Mount Classic or a Western Uni-Mount. You should be able to find one for less than $2K.

Also a 305 SB is the same block and weighs the same as a 350 SB.

3. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

If its just a spare in need, what about a western, get the adapter, and put a used unimount on it. You could do this relatively cheap if you can do your own installs.

4. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

I was thinking of western, and I knew the weights were close on the motors I just wasn't positive on that.

5. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

The unimount is the new or older system? I get them confused

6. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

Unimount-old, Ultramount-new. I got a beat up unimount a customer wants to sell, its a 8 1/2.
    But everything works.

7. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

7.5' mm2 with a set of buyers wings. You end up with over 9 feet of plow that doesn't weigh much at all

8. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

I always thought the older 7.5's were heavy? There is a considerable price difference between a newer one and one with a little rust and has seen better days.

I dont do any parking lots currently so width isn't important to me, my V plow is only 8'2

9. TMLGC

TMLGC Senior Member

You can put a 7.5 mm fisher on that truck all day long no problem. There are tons of them up here. I used to have a 99 K1500 and a 2004 1500 both had the 7.5 full size plow that was installed by the Fisher dealer that was also the truck dealer.

10. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Good deal, I will see what I can come up with. I like the fisher idea over western due to there being so many out there atlas around here. You see fisher 5-6 to 1(boss, western,blizzard,etc)

11. vortec7622

vortec7622 Junior Member

That truck will hold a 7'6'' HD or RD(same thing) Fisher no problem at all

12. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

13. coke813

coke813 Member

I had that exact truck with a Western 7.5' unimount. Mine was also a 305. I always put about 400# of sand in the back. I only did a few driveways, but I was quite happy with the truck/ plow setup. Front end sagged a but, but I turned the torsion bars to lift the front about 1" higher than stock and I had no problems.