1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How difficult is it to tow a skid during heavy snowfalls?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CK82, Apr 10, 2007.

1. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

Were in the process of getting hit hard with snow in Wisconsin right now, the snow is going to be super heavy and I do a lot of residentials where there is a garage at the end. Im thinking of using a skid to remove the snow, and my question is, is it a pain in the butt to tow a skid around. My accounts are spread out somewhat, but I still feel this would be way quicker and easier. Would you recommend some other way? Please help!!
  2. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

no. We do it all the time.

With the ATV I tie it down by hooking the winch up to the front and winching it down.

With a skidsteer I don't even bother. tieing it down :p
  3. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

If it is heavy and wet good luck with traction towing a skid steer. You're probably pulling 10k. I would chain rear truck tires and rear trailer tires.
  4. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

One day, knock on wood that it never ever happens to you, but you're leaving the door open to have a collision and the skidsteer would be a loose cannon.

If the DOT stops you, they'll throw the book at you so heavy, you'll feel dizzy from the tickets they'll write you up with.

I hope your kidding. :eek:
  5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Our friends or I dont tie down thier case 1816 on a trailer, but we use a small landscape trailer with 2.5ft sides and a gate and it Barely fits, we have to raise the arms and roll the bucket down to get the gate to close so the only way it is comming off the trailer is either crane, or tipping the whole trailer upside down.
  6. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

pulling a skid in the snow is kind of a PITA but it does save time in townhomes and residential areas. by PITA i mean sliding through red lights (even with trailer breaks) and the trailer jacknifeing around turns
  7. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

Dodgeguy99, thats what I was thinking would happen. I towed my landscape trailer around one time and it was a pain! Thanks for the info.
  8. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

We don't bother, its a royal pain because the traler weighs more than the truck. I ussally wait till roads are clear to move skindsteer (but we only use them to stack) other wise (at HOA's for plowing) they were left onsite.
  9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Another problem would be where do you park the truck and trailer? If it's going to be there long the local police may have a problem with it. I could not imagine pulling that much weight in slippery conditions on a trailer. I have seen a few bobcats on trailers tipped on their sides taking the truck with them.
  10. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

Ive done it before, just take it easy and turn trailer breaks way down. If the trailer wheels skid, you risk jack knifing. Just go slow and you will be fine.