1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How difficult is it to rebuild a Westen pump?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by collegeplow, Nov 27, 2003.

1. collegeplow

collegeplow Junior Member

I am about to purchase a Western Unimount that is 6 yrs old. I have yet to physically see it. What I need to know is, how difficult & expensive is it to :

1) rebuild a western pump?
    2) rebuild angle cylinders?
    3) how expensive are hoses?
    4) cutting edge?
    5) anything else that is common to wear out that I didn't think of?

Obviously, I am a newbie. Any input is greatly appreciated!
  2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

How expensive to rebuild--- all depends on how far you get into it.

Motor $125 Pump $80 Valves $70 x 3 Coils $30 x 3
    Packing for cylinders $25 x 3 Cutting edge $85+

It could get expensive so look everything over really well. Check for bent black iron, check the pivot point on the a-frame, if it feels loose the nose plate could be broken which means you have to replace the a-frame. Pull the motor off the pump and check the fluid and check the end of the shaft where the motor meets the pump for scoring or burning. Scoring on the shaft means that there is a ground problem and the motor is gounding through the pump which will eventially cause the pump to fail. check the grill connectors for missing or corroded pins. Use common sense, if it looks abused, it is.

Where in michigan are you? If its close its something i might be able to check out with you.
  3. collegeplow

collegeplow Junior Member

thanks for your response.

I am in Walker. However, the plow I am looking at is about 6 hours north. It is a 1997 unimount 6 1/2'. What you've told me sounds very helpful. I really appreicate your offer to look at one with me, unfortuantly, this one is a long way away. Whatever else you could tell me about inspecting it would be extremely helpful, sounds like rebuilding can get pretty darn expensive.

thanks again