1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How difficult is it to install a plow on a 2005 Ford F-350?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by JaimeG, Oct 2, 2009.

1. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

I figure I can save a couple hundred bucks by installing the plow myself, but all the electrical stuff worries me. How hard is it to wire it all up? The plow will most likely be a 9ft6in Xtreme V. What about the mount?

2. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

I have the same truck with a Western Ultramount. I paid $400 to have it all installed, for me it was worth it. Iprobably could have done it but I didn't want to risk svrewing something up and having it or my truck fail during the plow season. I guess it all depends on your ability to do the work vs what it's worth to have someone else do it.

3. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

Well, I can do the work, I have the tools, and the time. It just might be too complicated for me to get it right the first time so I was wondering what everyone thought.

4. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

IMO, it will save you a big headache by getting it installed for the couple hundred bucks!

5. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

Yeah, I'll probably end up having it installed by someone I just wanted to see how hard it would be.

6. Snow Miser

Snow Miser Senior Member

Overall it really isn't that hard if you have the right tools. Plus the instructions are pretty easy to follow. I installed my first fisher xtreme v by myself about two years ago on a 99 ford f350 and it took about 6 hours. If you don't mind me asking what prices have you been getting quoted for 9.5' xtreme v plows?

7. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

One place gave me $6400 with tax, that includes $500 for installation. It is a 9.5' Stainless Xtreme V.

8. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Im assuming that is a new plow price. $500 is about right for a new install, have to remember that includes the assembly of the blade also. Shop estimated time for a complete assembly and install of a V is 7.5 to 8 hours. Have to remember, that time is for the techs who do it all day long and yes, some guys can do it in less time depending on the truck.

With that said, i usually tell guys who want to do it themselves to call a buddy over for the day for a extra set of hands because you wont know the tricks to holding that one peice in place and getting a bolt into it, extra set of eyes because you just wont see how its supposed to fit there and a extra mind to because that one section of the instructions is just not going to make sense. But once your done you can atleast say you know how it all goes together.

9. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

Yeah, it'll be a new plow. I didn't know it would take a shop so long to install it. It''ll probably take me like two days to get it installed. :laughing: