1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How did you start out?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Hoss4x4, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Hoss4x4

Hoss4x4 Member
    from FL

I was wondering how you all started out. part time? driver? sub? have truck and pray like crazy? Just wondering how you transfered into full time.

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Started out driving someone else's truck. Second year bought my own truck/plow and picked up some sub work. Third year I was on my own.

3. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I bought a bunch of multi family housing and was too cheap to pay someone else to do if for me....LOL Definatley didn't think I'd be where I'm at now but thats business! Steady growth is the key! Don't promise ANYTHING you can't deliver!

4. Spucel

Spucel Senior Member

Started out as a shoveler and drove a skid until I got my license. Plowed in someone elses truck for about 10 years and I am buying my first plow this year with the plans to sub for about 2-3 years. Depending on how things look once I reach that 2-3 year mark I might continue to sub or open my own business.

5. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Started out subbing,every year after added my own accounts.

6. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I got transferred to Colorado in 06 as an excavating estimator to capitalize on the building boom. We had tons of equipment sitting around in the winter so I figured I would use it to push snow. Ended up getting laid off in 09 and started on my own. I had the contacts and know how so I figured why not.

Been adding equipment and customers ever since. Now the majority of my income comes from snow and I relax for most of the summer.

7. Hoss4x4

Hoss4x4 Member
    from FL

Having worked for a company and now for yourself. Are you happier?

8. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

Went from Automotive parts manufacturing to buy an established Landscaping and maintenance company.
    Been sick of working for others....

9. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

That's a good question. Honestly, it's a day to day thing.

There are plenty of times that I am thankful to be my own boss. Nobody (except my clients) is breathing down my neck or looking over my shoulder.

As the owner of a very small snow removal business, I make the decisions for everything. I can't take vacations during the snow months because I'm afraid to leave the decision making in the hands of someone else. Hopefully that will change in the next few years though.

As weird as it may sound, I enjoy the accountability factor. When it comes down to it, I am accountable for everything that happens regarding my company both positive and negative.

10. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

Started plowing my drive then added a few drives for friends then went to commercial.

11. CGM Inc.

from Ontario

in my case I never second guessed the decision! i like to be in control which is difficult when you work fore someone else.

12. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

16 years for my old company and 10 years on my own.

13. CGM Inc.

from Ontario

Your old! :laughing:

14. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Not old. Experienced!wesport

15. IDOCTORTREES

IDOCTORTREES Senior Member
    from MONTANA

With a shovel . Could not afford a blower. Door to Door

16. Spucel

Spucel Senior Member

Kind of cool to look back and see what it was like then compared to what you are doing now....unless you are still shoveling. lol:rolleyes:

17. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping Senior Member

I see your from Florida, does it even snow down there? :dizzy:

18. Hoss4x4

Hoss4x4 Member
    from FL

I think I might be changing my signiture to explain......ha

I am from MI and looking to return. I have been doing many, many, and many hours of research to help assist me in succeeding when I return to be near my family.

19. Precision21

Precision21 Junior Member

Slowly........

20. Hoss4x4

Hoss4x4 Member
    from FL

I am thinking about starting with snow blowing my lawn customers and ploying for a company to gain experience. Is this crazy? Should I buy a plow and work as a sub?