1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How did you get into snow? Your Story?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Flawless440, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

I thought this could be cool, or its already been done......

What was your first job in the snow bus..
    How did you end up in the white stuff
    How old, how many years in this game...etc etc..
    Do you still love it
  2. MWSAI

MWSAI Member

I sort of fell into it. My dad used to have a plow company about 10-15 years ago, I was too young and he sold it. Then he got into plow installations through our repair shop. I wanted to do something on the side and already had a plow vehicle. I worked as a owner operator and as a driver for a landscaper. I fell into 2 more complete trucks when a property management company went out of business and was selling his equipment. So this year I decided to go on my own and give this a shot. Hopefully if all works out it will bring a down payment on a house for me in the next year or two. Not sure if I love it still, haven't been completely on my own.
  3. Flawless440

I was the kid around the neighborhood who mowed everyones yard did the drives in the winter.
    At 14 i worked for a one man show, i thought it was the greatest. At 16 got my own truck and started on my own. I drop out of school to work more got into some trouble and lost it all. Went to work for Buckeye Landscape for a while, at 20 started all over again and never looked back. Today at 31 i can't complain we have lots of toys, wife and kids are happy, we camp in our RV every weekend, ride lots of quads, and dirt bikes. Sure you always want more and want to be bigger. I have learned to stay small and i only take on profitable contracts. I turn low balled stuff away all the time..
  4. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

My journey into snow started at a pretty young age. My dad and uncles have always had plows on there trucks for something to do in the winter when farming is slow. They never really got big in it just something to keep busy. I remember getting snow shovels for my birthday when I was pretty little. When I was ten or eleven dad bought a John Deere 318 with a little hydraulic plow. As soon as you could see snow on the drive I was out plowing it. It would take me about six hours to plow the whole barn yard but it was a blast because I would pretend I was plowing big parking lots or roads. At the age of 14 I bought a small lawnmower and mowed some lawns in the summer and plowed drives in the winter. I did this untill I was 16 when I bought my first truck and used it to pull a four wheeler around to plow drives. I gave up landscaping to farm full time and became snow only. At seventeen I sold my old truck, bought my new truck and started plowing commercially. Turned 18 added a second plow truck and made my business 100% legal. A couple local companies went under so I picked up a lot of work. I am now 19 almost 20 attending college full time, running two of my own trucks, two sub's and looking to add a loader. My hard work is starting to pay off and it shows through my work. I'm one of the largest companies in my area and always expanding.
  5. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

Started plowing for a guy when I was a senior in high school. I did lawn care/ landscaping in high school and liked the money. Went to school to be a mechanic because that was my passion. Hated the school and came back and started working for a guy and started my lawn care business in 2007. Love every minute of it. Wish I had more work, I'm praying for a good winter so I can upgrade my equipment.
  6. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

I got sucked into it when I started my handyman biz just over 9 years ago. I say that because I never even thought about snow removal as a source of income untill my customers(lawn cutting mostly) asked me about doing their snow. Started out with 1 shovel.
    I LOVE the snow game, but admit it is mostly stress all the time, because I'm no longer a 1 man show. I start getting antsy around aug every year for the snow season to start.
    I'm 32 now, so you do the math.
    My first snow customer was a old fellow at the end of the block that I cut his lawn & other odd repair jobs for.
  7. MetroProperties

MetroProperties Junior Member

Ever since i was about five i always went with my father to plow his office and his apartment buildings. Since then he has purchased and managed many other properties such as air port parking lots. i have always wanted to do plowing on the side and last year when i was thirteen i purchased a 6ft plow for my John Deere F910 and did multiple drives and one of my dads commercial buildings. Then this summer i acquired a Bolens FMC with hard cab and snow blower for 200 dollars which is an absolute tank. Now i am 14 and cant wait for the 2012-2013 winter ahead.
  8. buildinon

buildinon Senior Member

When I was a youngin' we lived on a farm, and my step-dad had a truck with a plow to clear that and all the rest of the areas around the barns. When I was about 12 he started letting me do it on my own, and I was hooked. He would also let me help do his business lot (the one he owned) which as a kid was cool to do. We sold the farm when I was 14 and moved to your typical suburban neigborhood and I became your kid that was shoveling driveways. By the time the second winter came around I talked my dad into getting a snow blower and blade for our 18hp Craftsman Lawn Tractor so I could use them to do the driveways and sidewalks I was doing in the neighborhood.
    At sixteen I got my first truck with a Western plow, and kept doing just driveways and was able to pay for my truck in the first winter. I did that until I graduated high school and then gave it all up as I left for the ARMY. When I came back, my love for it was still there, and the first season I plowed for a freind of mine. After that it was time to get back in it, so having already started a remodeling company it was an easy transition. Now I run several trucks, loaders, and skids all in commercial / industrial. I have been considering re-adding residential though.
    I will say that I do love the snow still, but it was alot easier and the love was deeper back when I was just a kid out there having fun in it. Now it is all about covering the over head and making everyone happy before I can let the love of it come into play.
  9. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

I have a junk removal company for the back of my truck .... I needed something to do with the front of my truck
  10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I thought you started out as a seedling?

11. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Nice picture !!! LOL
  12. trainhorntruck

trainhorntruck Member
    from CT

started with a quad doing the neighbors drive ways when i was14 . At 16 bought a truck with a brand new plow and sander with the money i made from plowing with the quad plowed residental last year . I'm 18 now and i've got to big commercial accounts looking to sign in the next few days here and i'm still in high school
  13. Flawless440

Thumbs UpGreat stories guys
  14. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

I was about 10 or so when I started. Shoveling the neighborhood. The money I made went to help out my mom at 17 joined the army seen the world got out a few years ago I sell mowers most of the year in the winter I'm really slow. Got a plow made it fit my ZR2 blazer two years ago. Got another truck this year. I'm 36 now and I still have the love for the snow. Today as I' did back then
  15. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

Opened the door and took a step! Thumbs Up
  16. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I started in the business when I was 13-15 ish. My uncle had a size-able snow removal business and I worked for him as a shoveler mostly at the local department store he plowed. I had to clear out the snow from between the two huge trash compactors (what a pain), also had to shovel out the cart corrals. When I got my license, he hired me to run one of his old trucks. Eventually I bought a plow truck from him and started out on my own. After he passed away, his daughter said that he was going to give me his business, but I had already established my own, so he gave it to one of his sub contractors. As I got older, my business got bigger, I got newer equipment, and it reached its peak about 5 years ago. I have let the business shrink some since I do work full time as a mechanic year round. I still avg about 30 accounts per year and about a 3rd of them are commercial. I get very anxious (not the good kind) when the snow flie's and quite honestly I have thought about getting out of the business all together, but the money is too good to let it go. I have come out with a new, more drawn out contract this year and we will see how many sign up. This could be it for me, I guess only time will tell.
  17. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

bought an auto repair shop when i was 24. guy had 1 plow truck and did a dozen driveways in town. since then, i now do a school district, 5 apartment complexes, a gas station, fire station, and i still get excited when snows in the forecast.
  18. magnum1

magnum1 Senior Member
    from ID & ND

Needed to keep equipment busy in the winter. Plowing does just that ( most winters )
    Besides it's more like play than work. Get in crank up the tunes enjoy the ride and get paid to play. Could it get any better than that. Ya I know but lets keep it G rated
  19. A.M.Canfora

A.M.Canfora Member

Was a shoveler for a company that was owned by my sisters bf at the time I was 16. He plowed UPS warehouses. by 18 I was driving one of his trucks, 20 bought my own truck, and today at 30 I plow shoprites as a sub with my welding truck. Which is funny cause I usually spend more time fixing broken equipment for the company I have been subbing for then plowing for them. But cause of them I became a Buyers dealer just so I have plenty of parts on my truck to fix there breaks.
  20. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

As long as I can remember I have always wanted to plow snow. So, when I was 13 I bought a 60" plow for my Arctic Cat 500 ATV and I used it to plow the driveway at my house. After two year of freezing my a$$ off on my ATV I decided to buy a truck with a plow. I didn't even have my licence when I bought my 1989 Chevy 2500 with an 8' Fisher Quick Switch. I plowed my driveway with that truck for a year and then my Dad bought his 2010 Toyota Tundra with a 7.5' Fisher SD. I plowed with the Tundra for two years and then I bought my 2002 Chevy 1500 and I put the 7.5' SD on it. Now we have the Tundra and the Chevy and the 7.5' Fisher SD so, I can chose witch truck I want to use now.