1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How deep of snow can a plow push? Not sure if I can plow my driveway!

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Sigma.40, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Sigma.40

Sigma.40 Junior Member

I am looking at buying a 93 F250 7.3L diesel ( 5sp. manual transmission) with an 8ft Western plow today. First I need to find out if it will even plow my driveway. My driveway had 3 feet of wet snow covering it. I already shoveled it about halfway down and gave up. Can a plow truck push 3 feet of wet snow about 50ft? My driveway goes downhill from the road. I would really only need to take 1 full swipe and after that I could push smaller amounts. Lifting up the blade a bit is not an option, I don't think, as I'd be trying to BACK uphill in 1.5ft of snow to get the 2nd half. I want the truck to keep my driveway clear but I need to know if it will clear it right now first! Thanks!

2. procut

procut Senior Member

Well, I would say probably not very well. The plow is 29" tall and if the snow if 3 feet deep, you do the math. It will typically work fine, just try to plow with the storm, and not let it get 3 feet deep.

3. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Yep.

Or if it's deep, you'll need to take swipes out of it to open it up, basically grabbing a load and pushing it to the side as you go down the driveway.

Personally, a two stage walk behind blower is probably your cheapest and easiest option in my opinion.

4. Sigma.40

Sigma.40 Junior Member

Would I want to have the blade angled to the side or hit it straight on?

5. White Gardens

All depends on conditions.

Seriously, for your own drive, a two stage blower is going to be your best option.

A plow on a truck is going to be more headache than worth on a personal drive only 50' long.

6. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

About the only thing you could do in this case would be to push off to each side of the driveway all the way down. If you try to angle the blade with that much heavy snow, the only thing your going to do is the truck will keep getting pushed off to one side and you'll probably end up getting stuck.

7. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

X2
    Use a Blower or Loader to get it opened up, from there a pick up / plow combo can be used.

8. White Gardens

One other thing to consider is how steep your drive is. A picture would be great.

The reason being is the with a plow, you'll sometimes create hardpack or have an ice situation under the snow.

Even with 4wd, it's going to be tough to negotiate the hill. Especially if your truck is on the downhill side of the drive when you start. So going uphill is going to be dangerous and potentially get you stuck if the snow is too deep and you can't get traction.

Go with a blower....

9. Sigma.40

Sigma.40 Junior Member

I'll consider a blower. The reason I'm thinking about a plow truck is that we need a second vehicle anyway. My wife and I share a car in the winter. I have 2 motorcycles for the other 3 seasons, but winter is difficult.

10. Sigma.40

Sigma.40 Junior Member

My driveway is not too steep. Its about 100' long.

-Explain the hardpack/ ice under snow. Is that a problem? I have it and am currently outside trying to dig at it.

11. White Gardens

Re-read

With a blower, you'll be able to manage the hardpack much better. Sometimes with a plow and driving over the snow, you'll pack it down. Just depends on the snow conditions and how your plow reacts.

A walk-behind two stage blower will allow you to scrap closer to the ground and blow the snow out farther away from your drive. A plow just piles snow up.

Is the drive gravel or pavement?

12. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Plow is not going to clean ice off - they don't get along. You should pay someone to do it now. Save you a lot of money. Buy a blower - a good one and then revisit the second vehicle in the Spring.

13. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

^^What he said^^.

14. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

back up and hit it harder.

15. Sigma.40

Sigma.40 Junior Member

Neither, its sand.

16. White Gardens

Plow is going to be horrible on sand, especially if it's ever soft.

Take the money you'll spend on a truck and plow and get the driveway built up better first.

That's it for me, I'm ringing out.

17. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Two stage blower with the skids to raise the cutting edge. This is a no brainer for your driveway. Then go buy a decent SUV or something. A truck and plow won't be worth it.

18. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

buy a professional grade ariens snowblower

19. Sigma.40

Sigma.40 Junior Member

Thank you for all your replies. I understand that the plow won't push that much snow. Going to see the plow truck has been moved back to tomorrow afternoon. I am still going to consider it but today I am going to go borrow my dads snowblower (and truck to get it here) and get rid of the snow (near 4 feet now) before I possibly get the truck. I had my driveway plowed several times last year and once this year without any problems so I am not too worried about that. Plus, my neighbors informed me that the previous owners had a plow truck and my driveway didn't give them any issues, I was really only concerned about pushing the amount of snow that I currently have on my driveway, but I will take care of that with my fathers snowblower.

-I am not "blowing" off the idea of a snowblower. I will seriously consider it if this truck is not in the mechanical condition that I am being promised that it is in. I just do not have the time to snowblow, nor do I have a place to store it. It would just sit in the driveway year-round.

20. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

A plow is going to take up a lot more room and harder to move around conveniently, no?