1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How deep is the snow?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by flyfisher7, Sep 25, 2009.

1. flyfisher7

flyfisher7 Junior Member
    from MI

Hey guys

For your residential customers, how deep must the snow get before you'll clear it out? 1"? 2? Just a dusting?

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

In the beginning, ask the customer what they want. Later, you'll get a feel for a standard depth for your market.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Deep enough so you don't have to go out everyday but not deep enough that the customer doesn't call to find out when your coming.

4. eaglegrounds

eaglegrounds Member

I am relativly new to snow clearing, and i have never pushed with a truck, but a guy i used to work with, r.i.p. mike, plowed for 23 years and said he would never drop his plow for anything less than 2".

5. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Approx. 3/4" - 1" for me. It's a judgement call, but depends on type of snow.

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Why not? I once plowed 1/2" for a finicky customer. He told me he wanted ANYTHING plowed and sanded. Easiest $100 I ever made. He and his wife thought I was the best thing since sliced bread.

7. eaglegrounds

eaglegrounds Member

we didnt call him crazy ike for nothin!

But no really, beats me, thats just what he swore by.

He really was crazy though, the funniest tihng i have ever watch him do is stick his finger into a deep fryer to see if it was hot. it was 350F and he said it was hardly warm lol.

8. rofoth6

rofoth6 Member
    from iowa

I go by what the customer wants,as long as it below 3 inches per push. I have one that wants to wait til storm is done.( calling for 8-10 ) I told the customer that much snow can be hard on eqiutment.

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Most of the time we plow anything over an inch but some commercials want a clean lot no matter the amount.

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That's pretty much how I do it. If the town is plowing, I'm plowing. Have to use a little judgement though. If it's early in the season, the ground is still quite warm, and the sun is coming out, I might not go for less than two/three inches. I like to plow, but some of the customers get grumpy.