1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How Critical is A-Frame Angle?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by avc8130, Jan 29, 2011.

1. avc8130

avc8130 Member

I have an 8.5' X Blade on my 2500HD. The A frame is in the top hole (how it came used). The a-frame definitely angles down towards the plow when I am on level concrete in my garage. Is this an issue? What advantages would I see from adjusting to level?
    ac

2. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

It'll put more pressure on the ends of the cutting edge which will make it wear funny. I bought a used plow for my lifted Jeep last year and the cutting edge wouldn't touch the ground all the way accross when it was angled. I'd never thought about why the angle would matter much before until then, but the plow pivot point is perpandicular to the A frame. If the A frame isn't perpandicular to the ground, the plow will try to lift one end or put more pressure on the A frame when angled. I would have just kept it, but it left stripes on the ground because it wasn't touching. It also affects attack angle, but I don't know what issues it'll cause there. This is probably too long an answer. I'd just leave it if it's working fine.

3. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

Chevys are low riding trucks. The X blade is designed to have a more aggressive rake than than the HD's So I bet if you move it to center it may change the performace of the plow. those blades are designed to stand ur straight almost like a full trip plow. Also I would recomend getting rid of that flip edge and putting a regular one on. If you burn that base angle down to nothing it will be a nightmare to replace it and costly. Plus they cut so much nice with a regualr edge on it

4. avc8130

avc8130 Member

Am I supposed to wear the base angle down a bit? It's tough to find that info out.

With it set in the high hole, I assume it is making that aggressive angle even more aggressive.

I'll have to play in the garage seeing what touches first while dropping. In float, does any of it really matter?

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The a-frame needs to be parallel to the ground when in float. Use the hole in the back of the a-frame that gets you closest to parallel.

It's best to make the setting when you have the truck setup for plowing. Specifically, ballast in the bed can move the front of the truck up and down.

6. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Not on an x blde they gont have much of a base angle to begin with. And the top punched cutting are great it u like doing damage the the trip edge and springs. They come center punched for a reason. To much over hang over the base andge is no good on that set up.

7. mikespenny

mikespenny Junior Member

If the angle is off parallel, you go through cutting edges real fast, when angled one side has more pressure on it than the other, and it wears it down, as it wears, it leaves trails worse and worse, the opposide side is always getting shorter and shorter.
    I just put a new edge on my truck before the last storm, and after 30 hours of plowing, i already notice a difference in wear.
    But in my case, with a 4" lift, i am going to have to make some custom drop brackets and reinforcements to make everything work right.

8. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

you'll scrape much better if you have the correct a-frame angle

9. brad11ny

brad11ny Senior Member

I have a 3in lift on my jeep Tj, and not touching the ground at a full angle. The A-frame is in the middle hole. If I was to move it to the top hole lowering the a frame, would the solve my issue?

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

It will certainly help. Try it, and measure the a-frame distance to the ground when there is no weight on the lift chain. It needs to be the same - or close to it - front and back.

11. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

My plow was at an angle last year. I was able to just flip the cutting edge as its symetrical. In one years time, the sides were wore down 2". This year I lowered the mount. I would suggest running the A-frame parallel to the ground for the best performance