1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how come

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mole, Jan 19, 2004.

1. mole

mole Senior Member

we get a ticket for leaving trails if we push the snow across the street, But a res using his snowblower shooting all the snow from his driveway into the street doesn't even get a nod from the police. I see this all the time where i live. the snow blower makes a bigger mess then the little lines that the plow leaves. I was driving down the street the other day and a guy hit my truck with all the snow from his driveway and I was acros the street from him, and better yet his neighbor works for the town. I guess Im just ranting
  2. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

yeah, that's a bit*h, my friend had that happen to him.
  3. rainair

rainair Senior Member

trails and blowers

carry a camera with you..I do:salute:
  4. JMR

JMR Senior Member

I plow two LARGE commercial properties located next to major streets. The says we have to keep the public walk by the street clear of snow. It's illegal for me to push my snow in to the street, but the city trucks keep pushing their snow on to the walks. We usually have to shovel the walks 2-4 times after a snow event. If we don't you can't get through the mess they leave with the biggest 2 stage snowblower. How about a ticketing them. Whats fair is fair.
  5. skmodmsl

skmodmsl Member

Unfortunately I have 3 driveways that I must push across the street. There just isn't any place to put the snow otherwise. I do my best not to leave any lines. I'll even get out the shovel if need be.

People who shoot snow into the road with their blowers are just plain rude. If they are going to do it, at least have the decency to stop until a car/truck has passed by. Same goes for people who mow their lawns and aim the chute at the street.

As far as the town/city plowers go they are brutal. I have a customer who is in the middle of a cul-de-sac. The lady is wheelcahir bound and needs periodic medical attention. An ambulence picks her up. She needs to keep her driveway clear at all times. She has been repeatedly plowed in by the city. Phone calls to the mayor arenot returned.
  6. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

its really not fair that a snowblower can leave a big mess with out any problem. but a lot of plow guys who have no clue what they are doing make really big messes at times. anyone who makes a mess should get a ticket
  7. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Technically, the sidewalk belongs to the town. They can do whatever they want to their own property. For the most part, the first 10 feet of property off the road is town property.
  8. JMR

JMR Senior Member

If the sidewalk belongs to the town, then way do they fine the property owner when the snows not removed. The city should be responsible for their own sidewalk clearing????? Right!!!! All I know is, I'm the one getting the phone calls from the property owner telling me they have a warning from the city, clear the walk or be fined. I tell them no problem, but I've already done it 3 times.
  9. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

That might be an issue I would consider fighting. Say you just finished clearing the walk. After which, a city plow truck whizzez by and blasts 2" of slush on your freshly cleared walk. Who should clear it now? Seems to me you did your job. Like what was said earlier... Take pictures. I take my digital with me wherever I go. No telling what you might come across. Plowing or otherwise.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

as a professional you should know better

their just happy that the guy with the snow blower
    doesnt put his hand in it with it running
  11. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

Here the property owner is responsible for the sidewalk in front of there property. If the snow is not removed from it they can be fined. It something about having wheelchair access for the handicapped although I have never seen a wheelchair cruising down the sidewalk at -40 in the middle of winter. The city does remove most of the snow from the sidewalk that they plow onto it but fresh snowfall is the landowners responsibility.
  12. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I never could understand that one eaither:confused: But it's ok for the city workers to put snow wherever they want?:rolleyes:
  13. JMR

JMR Senior Member

So if the city owns the property 10 feet from curb. The responsibility of the sidewalk is the cities???:confused: :rolleyes:
  14. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

That would be nice wouldn't it?:D Then I wouldn't have to pay a sidewalk guy and still charge the customer.payup
  15. There are few things that really p*ss me off and people shoveling their snow into the street is one of them. The guy across the street from me is the laziest guy in the world. He comes out and pushes his snow blower with one hand while blowing the snow from the approach of his driveway into the street. I felt like plowing the snow back up his driveway. :realmad:

Oh yeah and the sidewalk thing I really don't understand either. In my city the city owns the boulevard, the sidewalk and 1 foot (maybe 2 feet) of the front lawn. They can dig it up at anytime, but YOU are solely responsible for it's upkeep. Go figure!