1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how cold before you plug a diesel in?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by trqjnky, Nov 20, 2010.

1. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

I'm going into my first winter with a diesel, and was wondering how cold it needs to be before you plug it in?
  2. mces969

mces969 Junior Member

I have a 2000 Excursion with a 7.3 powerstroke. I have never pluged it in,never had a problem. Keep it parked with the front end away from the wind. make sure you put additive in the fuel till your sure the fuel your buying is winterized. I would plug it in if it is below zero or if it has not been run in a few days.
  3. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

What type of diesel.

My duramax: I plug that in under 10 degrees outside overnight
    My 6.5: I plug that in under 32 degrees outside overnight
  4. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

My 6.0 diesel starts has started fine, the issue is that it takes forever to get heat if you don't plug it in! I usually plug it in if it is down below 20*.
  5. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

My cummins has never been plugged in since I got it, my 7.3 Powerstrokes get plugged in when it gets to 15-20 degrees.
  6. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

04 cummins here.
    I put addative in fuel every fill up. Made by p.s, also have the diesel 911 just in case.

Its been 28 here and trucks started fine so far.
  7. fci

fci Senior Member

I have a ford 6.0L that I plug in when its below 20. It is more piece of mind, when I have to start it at 4:00 am.
  8. MarksTLC

MarksTLC Senior Member

I don't plug it in unless it is below freezing. Makes it easier to start with the remote starter.
  9. cosgo

cosgo Member

Make sure and dump some Howes in the tank.... cheap insurance. run it for a while too so that it gets in your lines and filters.
  10. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 6.5 in a 95 chevy 2500 that I never have to plug in, and I have a 444E in an International ( same as a 7.3 powerstroke) that I have to plug in if I am going to start it at all with the temps below 20 or so.
  11. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

If you plug it now till march, it'll be realy easy to start
  12. Koonta

Koonta Junior Member

plugging in is a little easier on the the motor, I may plug my cummins in, but I use a timer and just heat 2-3 hrs before start-up, saves on the electric bill
  13. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

Does a warm shop make it considered being plugged in? No, seriously I do it below 20 just for piece of mind. All three of the 6.0ltr powerstrokes start fine even below 0. Quality Interstate batteries are to thank for a good share of that.
  14. Williams Ex Co

Williams Ex Co Junior Member
    from Iowa

I park inside the shop.... However if I need to leave the truck outside for any reason I usually plug them in at anything 20 degrees or below. I have started them down to 0 degrees w/o plugging in but I feel it is just so much easier on them when they are warm....
  15. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

By far the Best answer yet! :nod: Those who say they don't plug their diesels don't understand that its better. Its kinda like taking cold showers....doesn't feel the same huh? :cool:
  16. RandyB

RandyB Junior Member

Hey all, new to the site not new to the plug or not to plug, got an '03 7.3 Stroker that is so cold blooded that any thing below 35 she goes on the hitchin' post. And I do feel it is easier on the motor anyway. So if I know I'm gonna need it I plug it in either the night before or just a couple hours before I head out. Which ever works out best.
  17. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

for a ford you should plug it in anything below 50, a duramax, anything below 0
  18. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Really? :rolleyes:
  19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I expected your post to be about this......

But I understand why you commented on this....

Both are equally entertaining :D
  20. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Who you talking to Willis?