1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How close is close enough

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Tommytwotone, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Tommytwotone

Tommytwotone Junior Member

Alright... So i am plowing and a customer comes out when I am finished and says... "Your going to leave all that snow"

I look and see that only 1/5 or so of the driveway has blacktop showing and the other 4/5ths or more still has a light skimming of snow on it!..

So my question is, how much if any snow should be left when I am done... should a black top driveway be black or white when finished?

Thanks

2. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

tell her not to drive on her driveway when its coverd in snow or you will not be able to scrap it off down to the pavement. Of coarse say it in a nice way.

3. Tommytwotone

Tommytwotone Junior Member

lol,

funny thing is, she hadn't driven on it yet... I kind of think I might have messed up... do you usually get it down to the black top

4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

It all depends on how packed down it is. If your able to push it before it is ever driven on it will look much nicer then if a half dozen cars have driven on it and packed it down. Then all you can do is wait for the sun to come out if they don't want salt. Unless your running a snoway with down pressure, but I've never used one to see how well they scrape up packed snow from cars.

Edit, you'll never get it 100% pavement like it never snowed unless your using a rotary broom like on a bobcat. Plows or snow blowers won't get all the snow out of the rough texture of the driveway, it will just skim the top.

5. MattR

MattR Senior Member

Sounds like a nit-picky customer, yet a great chance to sell salting services too.

Matt

6. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

my driveway are never black until the snow comes out. On the other hand I find its easier to scrap a cement driveway clean. I like cement driveways alot better then blacktop

7. WNYSeasonalSvs.

WNYSeasonalSvs. Junior Member
    from WNY

Shoes? If ya got em, take them off.
    Depends on the snow type. How much are you leaving behind (depth).

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

First - I presume you don't have shoes, because some of it is bare...

It's generally impossible to get it all off. Usually the driveway has some crown to it, and your plow edge is straight. Or at least it should be:D

A little sun on the blacktop and it will melt right off...

9. JCE

JCE Member

I'm using a brand new SnowWay with down pressure and if the drive has been driven over, I still only get about 50-60% down to the blacktop. It's better than without down pressure, but not perfect. I find it works much better if I set the blade at the end of the drive, push the snow up the drive, then lift the plow over the mound and back drag. Otherwise it's my own truck that's packing it down.....

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Save all backdragging for last. Clear as much as you can going forward first. Get a better job, less chance of getting in trouble if it's a hilly drive....

11. WOWPLOW

WOWPLOW Junior Member

WOW great input

Typically I back drag first, but this makes perfect sense. I have been packing the snow down on my way up the drive, which is causing me some issue!

When I push all of the snow up the drive, where do I put it? typically I have been putting the snow at the end of driveways.

I think I will sell her on salting, I want her return business (even if she is picky) my goal is to satisfy customers not piss them off.

It sounds as if a snowway plow would have been a better option than my western, although I love my western it is perfect in almost every way.

Thanks again guys

12. JCE

JCE Member

Push up the drive to about 4 or 5 feet from the garage. Lift the plow, move forward to the door (don't hit it:nono:) then put the plow back down and backdrag your pile back to the street. Then pile off to the side or where ever (but don't pile in the street:nono:) I back drag into the street, then push to the side, then pile in thier yard between curb and sidewalk. Hope that helps!

13. larrylaverne

larrylaverne Member
    from ill.

ok, she did not drive on it this time, but was it packed from a previous cleaning and now you get fresh snow on top of it? what condition is the blacktop in, rutted broken up etc.? if you get 2 or so inches of snow on an already bare pavement it should clean down to bare pavement

14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Or get a back blade and the heck with all this crap.

So what happens when you have 6" of snow and you push within 4-5' of the door? You're going to have a mountain of snow that will get pushed closer to the door?

Call me old fashioned, but all this backdragging garbage is for the birds if you're doing resi's. Get a back blade and increase your productivity by 50%.

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I was wondering who was going to ask that. Mark to the rescue!wesport

16. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

I always back drag from the garage first, then back in and push it out...never a problem or a complaint. Most people will ":deal" with a couple of packed down tire tracks...if they're THAT anal about it, see ya later!!
    Pushing a good amount of snow up to the garage doors to save a couple of tire tracks is more troubling than the tracks themselves...in my opinion :drinkup:

17. JCE

JCE Member

I just did a few resi's on this last storm....about 9-10 inches....can someone say "get a feel for how much you have in front of the blade"?:). As there is more snow, you stop a little shorter. As for a backblade, I'd love to have one and I agree it's probably the best way of doing resi's, but most of my stuff is commercial (which brings up a question since I really dont know). Can you have a backblade AND a spreader? I've not researched backblades, so I don't know how they mount to the truck.......

18. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Never get then clean to blacktop unless you use salt or pre treat.
    Good chance for you to sell more services or get rid of a PITA

19. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Can you say "you're advising a newbie on how to bury a garage door?"

The OP was asking about tire tracks and hardpack, do you think he knows how to determine how much snow he has in front of him? No slam to the OP, just basing it on the fact he is new to the game.

20. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

There, I fixed it. You had an extra R in there. You must be using all the R's I don't:laughing: