1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how clean do you get your lots?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by trqjnky, Dec 11, 2010.

1. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

Now I was wondering, does anyone get away with leaving small windrows? Ir do you push untill everything is gone, no small windrows, and perfectly clean?

I was wondering if property owners would care or even notice small trails.

I try to get all the trails cleaned up so there's nothing for them to ***** at me about.
  2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I remove all windrows. Small ones, or big ones. When i leave the lot it looks as good as it can look till the sun comes out and finishes off the snow in the cracks of the asphalt.
  3. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Dont leave windrows!!!!! They're a PITA! Later..........
    only reason i say that is once you let snow stay on the surface any what so ever will freeze to ice...
    Ice means someone could slip and fall....

For us its a liability issue.... Because most places pay us to salt also! Which is good for us.. more money less times to go back and clean up what we missed

Make it as nice as possible, plow in uniform
    - When we plow we plow all snow one way (IF POSSIBLE)
    -then windrow one way before we leave.. this way there are no stray windrows
    Its nice because all of our Lots we plow we also get paid to salt so once everything is as nice as we can get it with a plow we drop rock or liquid down to get the rest....
    I found this pic online......
    This would be a nice time to salt....
    otherwise.... it might be dangerous
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  4. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

No trails allowed whatsoever :nono:
  5. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Same here, try to get them as clean as possible.
  6. procut

procut Senior Member

I leave them wet.
  7. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

When I see that, it always makes me think somebody is only doing half of their job.
  8. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

Leaving windrows means an unfinished job. A clean lot makes me feel good knowing this is why we charge what we charge. And that is also why they call us back the folliwng year.
  9. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

A Low Baller comes to mind
  10. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

clear it off durring the storm. if you leave some no big deal. after the storm we better think it just rained. better look clean and wet. next day the lot should be white from all the salt.
  11. snorider075

snorider075 Senior Member

make it spring time! no snow and wet pavement.
  12. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

The lot should always be clean, once in awhile a snow ball may be out there somewhere but no windrows what so ever. A frozen snowball you will clean up next time but a frozen windrow will be hell for the rest of the winter.
  13. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

all lots should look MINT!

-like one of the snow plow manufacture commercial says " when you need your lot to look like it does in June"
  14. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

Then you're leaving a job un-finished! Doesn't wet mean you're just getting started? :D
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  15. ALC-GregH

from pa

If you have a windrow (not sure just how big a windrow is or what is considered a windrow when it comes to size) in a parking lot that you either missed for whatever reason or has frozen to the asphalt, why will it be heii to deal with for the rest of the winter? Why can't it be scraped then salt be applied to melt it and scrape it clean the rest of the way? I mean, that's IF the property owner/manager wants it gone.
  16. ALC-GregH

from pa

I guess it's all hypothetical since it should be cleared down to asphalt. The company (local to me) that cleared Walmarts lot kept it cleared and salted throughout the entire storms from last year. I got wind (wife works at Walmart) of the price. It was over 40K with salt!!!!!! That was for the 2 bad storms a week apart. He did have to remove some of the huge piles. The guy made bank. Watch Walmart get USM to come in a handle the contract this year. I'd be surprised to see the same guy doing it.
  17. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

If one needs to ask this question maybe, he should not be in the snow removal industry....
  18. bigc1301

bigc1301 Senior Member

Why do the Job half A**ed
  19. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Pretty sure you guys have never seen how snow gets plowed in North Iowa....there are NO wet lots.....everything has some snow on it....we scrape it as clean as possible
    even the hosp and big businesses have snow on them....thats the way it has been done here
    not that I think it looks good or is safe but that is the way it is here
  20. turboplow3

turboplow3 Junior Member

I would agree. Here in south Iowa every lot is just plowed. Most plow drivers only salt during a freeze or put down sand in high traffic areas. I throw sand on high traffic walking areas or salt two accounts with killer steep drives so the residue snow doesnt freeze to ice after a sunny day.