1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how can you.....

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mcwlandscaping, Dec 11, 2006.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

how can people put 8ft. V-boxes in a 3/4 ton truck and then have the weight of the salt on top of that? With salt weighing so much.....can you only fill it like a third of the way? i always see spreader company's advertisements with them in 3/4 ton trucks and wonder how effective that actually is! can someone provide some insight on this for me! thanks

2. mcwlandscaping

bump......

3. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Add more leaf springs. We just added another v box into a 3/4 ton last Friday. Today it went into the spring shop. $340.00 is going to add one leaf on the back end and add 3000# to the capacity

4. RSK

RSK Senior Member

a v box is about as much weight as a ez-dumper my ez dumper is 750 lb and with the sides on i can get 4-5 yd of mulch in it 3-4 ton stone salt i have 1 ton springs and helper springs on my truck and air lift air bag if you need more spring help go with the bags the bags i have will hold 5000lb and worth ever penny

5. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

This is the way to go, but you also gotta keep in mind that you are still overloading the axles themselves.

6. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

Just remember that a yard of dry sand is 3000 pounds (well if your going with sand,salt weight off hand I can't remember) and do the math of the spreader weight itself and the capacity it can carry.Thats why for my own conscience I prefer sanding lots with a one ton.

Most times you'll see its probably overloaded the trucks suspension or the driver has it half way loaded.Its the same as plows on trucks you can do it with a half ton but a 3/4 ton is always nicer.

7. BobC

BobC Senior Member

Also keep in mind that you are exceeding the GVWR of your vehicle and are subject to overweight tickets, parts breakage and liability issues due to negligence. Imagine the lawsuit when the 1000lb safe load is exceeded by several tons and plows into people as the steering breaks and the brakes fail. Explain that to your insurance.

8. RSK

RSK Senior Member

ford f250 and the 350 have the same axles as a 1 ton so if you have a 250 and do spring work to it you can make it a 1 ton truck just like if you go and buy a f350 that you see guys putting 3-4 ton in f350 truck but just like you said you have to watch the axles

it is how they tag the truck to so they can keep the plats cost down when you buy the truck 3/4 ton truck is the same as a 1ton truck but they don't have the same springs on them

Last edited: Dec 12, 2006
  9. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Unles you get the truck re certified,your screwed!!!

Just cause you can doesn't mean you should....The guys above are correct if your breaks fail or someone pulls out in front of you, even if its not your fault and you are over the door sticker(Gvw) your screwed!!!! Some states D.O.T will re certify a truck and it is a very thorough process limited to the weakest component..

10. RSK

RSK Senior Member

he ask how we can carry that much in the truck we don't haul 3-4 tons of stone ever day some time you are at a job and you have more there then it looks like. or if you are out doing lawn care and have all your mowers on the trailer and have the truck full of grass.
    grass gets heave and the trailer on the back you some time we need more spring to do the work you have to do i have a ez dumper with sides on it i can get 4-5 yards mulch in it for a landscaping job but when i am out cutting grass i will fill my truck ever day i am out thats a lot of work for just springs grass is like 300-400 lb per yard so if you have 5 yards of grass in the truck 2000lb of grass and then you have the trailer on there to thats why i have my truck set up like that i have ever thing on there top of the line do all the work my self so i know what my truck will hold and what it wont hold 1 more thing when i have that much in my truck i am not drivings 60 70 mph 40 50 if that :dizzy:

11. Tscape

Tscape Senior Member

I tried to read this, but you don't have a single period or capital letter in the post. It is hard as hell to read. I know everybody hates an English teacher on these boards, but c'mon, dude. You can do better than that, can't you?

Don't exceed the GVWR ever. Get a one ton dually.

12. Oshkosh

I understand ,doesnt make it right or legal...

Believe me I'm no angel(lol), My triaxle was Registered at 77,000lbs you want to talk weight? When capping a landfill doing site work I crossed the scales at 101,000lbs doesn't make it right thats all I am saying, Been there done that.
    I don't or wouldn't want anyone starting out reading these post getting the impression as long as it fits or that the truck sits level it must be OK! Anyone running overweight is taking a big risk,anything happens when your overweight and it is automatically your fault.Thats all is am saying.
    Ever notice in the paper with truck accidents that the photos are all over the front page and when and if they find out the truck wasn't at fault it is in a small paragraph on page 16 at some point...They love to blame the trucks.

13. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Every truck I send out to plow from my Toyota to my 550 is overloaded. When you figure the weight of the plow and spreader alone you are pushing most trucks rated capacity.

Nothing one can really do about it.

14. mcwlandscaping

i am really liking these responses, and this also raises some questions in my head.......

a 3/4 ton truck....what does that mean exactly? what does that rating represent? I think i know but now im not sure after hearing of people putting 3k+ pounds in the back of theirs even with 1 ton suspension....

15. Tscape

Tscape Senior Member

It is a totally antiquated term that may have been associated with payloads at one time. Not anymore.

16. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Back in the nineties I picked up a truckbed full of 2 inch cobblestone for a small job. The truck weighd 5000 lbs when I weighed in, and when I weighed out it weighed 10,400.

The guys were shaking their heads. lol

I only had to drive it about 3/4ths a mile and was really easy on it. It was when I was turning I expected the whole suspension to explode.

:dizzy:

17. GSE

GSE Senior Member

Sure there is, buy the right damn truck!

I'm hard pressed to believe that an F550 (19K GVW) is overloaded with a plow and appropriate sized V-box.

18. RSK

RSK Senior Member

For a 3/4 ton truck to get Registered it is like $ 170.00 to get ever thing for the truck to buy it. A new one ton truck is around $ 250.00 to get it registered. Could you see ever one if it was $250.00 for a 3/4 ton truck and like 400.00 for a one ton truck. that is nuts.
    When i got my truck it was $175.00 to get it registered. I know ever time i go out to plow i am over the gvw. I know a lot of guys that have dumps and they put more then one ton in it. I am not saying for ever one to put 2 ton of salt in there truck but we all do it put more in our trucks then we should.

19. Oshkosh

I just got some numbers online.....

Ok here are some real numbers:From Edmounds and Fisher site.
    2000 Ford F250 HD 4x4, gas
    GVW ; 9,900lbs
    Curb weight ; 5,195lbs
    Max payload; 4,705lbs
    Fisher 8'HD plow setup; 777lbs
    Fisher procaster Hd 8' sander; 800lbs (2.6 yard capacity)
    That leaves a carrying capacity of 3128lbs +-
    That is without any extras;lights extra fuel tanks etc...
    A yard of sand runs 2,400-3,000lbs a yard of salt 2,400lbs +-.....It would be really hard not to be overweight with a 3/4 ton 4x4 wouldn't it?????
    I know for a while a Fisher Dist in Mass(Brake and Clutch) wouldn't install on Dodge 4x4 diesels and same on my buddies F350 4x4 diesel don't know about Gm's, they said the front end wasn't heavy enough.They would sell you the setup, cash and carry taking the liability off of them.

20. RSK

RSK Senior Member

We all don't have the money to go buy a ford f 550 truck so we work with what we have