1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how can you compete????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by alleghenypaving, Nov 11, 2009.

1. alleghenypaving

alleghenypaving Member

this ad was on craigslist today,november 11 2009.(pittsburgh) it would pay me to sit home and sub this guy to do all my accounts. think of the money you can make ..and all the sleep you won't miss.read the ad ,your gonna think twice.is it really worth it.Im lookin for some extra side work so i thought id try snow removal an lawncare

snow removal
    $10 for driveways
    $5 for sidewalks
    $5 for walkways

Lawncare
    depends on the size of yard but usually $35
    smaller yards $25

also i can laydown mulch, gravel, whatever you need done wow he is in for a quick lesson..:laughing:

2. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

I ignore idiots like that, I offer my customers the best service possible and go the extra distance. It's been working for 12 years.

3. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

i have a question, and i don't want to turn it into a lowballer thread, BUT, what do you guys charge a snow removal on a average lot, front two bay garage, front walk, walk to the back yard, and out to garbage/backalley. how much snow do you usually plow? when you go to your customers property? Same with lawn care, how much are you guys charging (assuming you are doing lawns also). The reason i ask is that around here, those are fairly average prices, $18-30/lawncut, for snow removal, average prices are around $15-$30 on a average snowfall (1-3 inches is a average snowfall in a day) this isn't just my prices, this is the norm around here, and we have big and small companies here so i am wondering what prices you guys are at in your section of the states

4. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

The average drive around here is $35.00 for a intown drive .Now if I do 3 or more on 1 street Ill be around $25.00 but now for condo units Ill be around $20.00 per drive and that includes walk from drive to frt door.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What's the problem. He's double the price from the guy in Buffalo who will plow a drive for 5 bucks.

6. buckwheat_la

it is interesting to see how these things are priced so differently, i wish i could get those prices where i am at, but the fact is i make a decent living here , makes me wonder about differences in costs on fuel, insurance, rents on shop, equipment etc

7. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Buckwheat dont people living in Alberta get free gaz. I thought last year the provincial government sent everyone a royalty check for all the money they make on oil.:rolleyes:

8. buckwheat_la

yeah right, free gas my @ss, (im a poet and didn't know it), seriously though, our gas is usually right in the middle of costs usually, and NO we didn't get a check last year, it was a couple of years ago that happened, the one thing i should mention, is that when we do snow, we usually have a 1inch trigger, and usually we have a range of 1-3 inches a day, and it is a light and easy to shovel snow.

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Good service will eventually get you more work.

10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Somewhere on this site we need a sticky with driveway sizes.

Here a normal drive is 20'x50'. Don't get out of the truck, plow on 1.5" and maybe go 20 times plus return trip for the street plow. $400/year.

I see a lot of places in the States that have what I would call an Estate Drive.

11. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Wish that were true here. Lake effect snow is usually fairly heavy and 1-3" is called a sunny and clear day.tymusic

12. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Oops, I think we may have inadvertently hi-jacked this tread.:blush2:

13. buckwheat_la

but i bet you charge more then me to do a residence

14. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

I'm all seasonal and mainly commercial but I can honestly answer Nope. Based on my averages for 50 events residential your low end of $15/ drive would cost the customer $750.00 a season, very few will bite at that price. your high end of $30.00 would cost the customer $1500.00 for the season, No one would pay that here for an average driveway.

If it is a one time call for plowing then yes, I'm gonna charge $20.00 and up depending solely on how I feel that day.

15. buckwheat_la

i agree, i run into a similar thing, i give people the option to be per time or on a contract, if it is a contract then we do it no mater what, even if it is a 1/2inch, if you are per time, then people have to phone in when they want it done, but they don't normally call when it is only 1/2 inch so i do understand. if you dont mind me asking what is your monthly seasonal rate, (you can pm me with the answer if you like)

16. Neige

Neige Sponsor

We do seasonal, with a two inch trigger. Why would you ever clear 1/2 inch for residential, even my commercial accounts start at 3cm (a big inch). If the city wont go out and do the streets then were not going out to do the driveways. Our price is 300 seasonal, and if someone stops us as were driving by its a $40 one time charge.

17. Gr8WhiteNorth

Gr8WhiteNorth Senior Member

Neige, how many snow events of 2" or greater per season on average in Montreal?

18. buckwheat_la

i don't know how much you know about southern alberta, but we get chinooks here (warm air that comes off the mountains, anyways always a slip and fall hazard, so if we get a snowfall that isn't going to melt completely during the day, we go out, this is why we haven't had a slip and fall in my entire 10+ years