1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How can I track sidewalk usage?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by shrpstknfndabox, Dec 16, 2005.

1. shrpstknfndabox

shrpstknfndabox Junior Member

Hello to everybody reading. I have been doing winter maintenance for almost 9 years now. Recently I've been required to keep a log of the amounts of salt that is used during any application on sidewalk areas. This log is to contain type of product, amount applied, location of the application, total time needed to apply product, and (of course) weather conditions during this application.
    Now I've watch and can guestimate with most anybody, bu this type of record keeping is new to me and I find little if any help on web searches.
    So if any one has a personal way of tracking or a site where I can find forms, information, or help please post a reply..... much thanks shrpst
  2. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

Since you speak of sidewalks I assume you are using either a walk behind spreader of a hand device.

For example when I use the spreader I put in 1 50 lb bag then it's pretty easy, just look at whats left when you are done. If is one quarter or one half or one third full you have an idea of what was used.

My hand spreader holds 4 lbs, so if I fill it 3 times that is 12 lbs. I dont think you have to be to precise. You should be able to judge within a couple of pounds and be fine with the log sheet.

Hope this helps
  3. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

I imagine that you can look at your spreader and will know how much material has been used. If you are looking to create something that illustrates all the information required, may I suggest you use Microsoft Excel. If you are not familiar with it, ask a friend who is computer literate. Excel would be a perfect way to keep track of everything you need. You can also print out a hard copy for your boss.
  4. CRJCaptain

CRJCaptain Junior Member

You could also run Excel on a handheld PDA which you keep in your truck, enter most of the data as you work in the field. When you get back home or to the office when you sync up the PDA to the computer you've now got a copy there as well...saves time transferring info and doing paperwork. ;)