1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How can I test the pump motor

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by gmule, Sep 18, 2012.

1. gmule

gmule Junior Member

I have a st78 plow set up with the E47 pump.
    I took the plow off at the begining of summer. when I put it back on this fall nothing works. The plow will not lift or angle
    I have removed all of the large cables and cleaned the connections for the power and ground. When I push the toggle switches the solenoid under the hood clicks but the pump motor does not run. I tried connecting a direct battery lead to the motor to see if I could get the pump to run.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I should go from here?

2. 95HDRam

95HDRam Senior Member

Pull the motor off the pump base being careful not to let the cap seperate. Hold the motor upside down and try to turn the shaft by hand. If it does not tun or hard to turn the motor is froze up and needs replaced. If the motor turns freely try to turn the pump shaft on the pump base to make sure it is not locked up.

My spare assy is an E-47 to my E-60 and I still keep a spare motor for the 47 with me cause I have gone through three of them.

3. gmule

gmule Junior Member

Thanks for the reply. I followed your instructions and discovered that the pump turns and the motor turns. Since it was already broke I took the end cap off and the brushes are worn to the wire that the carbon is attached too. I think I'll give replacing the brushes a go and see if that fixes it. If not I'll be replacing the motor. Thanks again for your help..

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I suggest you buy a new motor and if you rebuild the one you have keep it as a spare. lots of other parts are worn if they ran it to the bone and you don't need it failing in the middle of a storm.

5. 95HDRam

95HDRam Senior Member

Yeah replace the motor no matter what. Since its off and needs the brushes done it could be only a matter of time till it goes out on you with good power being supplied. Glad it wasnt the pump and you figured out the problem.

6. gmule

gmule Junior Member

Good point. Thumbs Up

7. gmule

gmule Junior Member

8. 95HDRam

95HDRam Senior Member

Yeah I would. Comes with a warranty and is cheaper then what I paid for my spare. Good find.

9. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Not a bad price

10. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

that's really cheap. looks good.

11. gmule

gmule Junior Member

I found the same motor on Amazon for 59.00 and one at Grainger for 210.00 It seems the price really varies on those.