1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How can i tell for sure if my F-250 has factory snow plow prep installed?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by DAVID1963, Dec 27, 2007.

1. DAVID1963

DAVID1963 Member

it's a 2004 F-250 4x4 super duty FX4 reg cab any way to tell for sure if it has snow plow prep already?

2. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

did the seller have the original sticker? I'm not sure but the numbers in the VIN might point u in that direction

3. DAVID1963

DAVID1963 Member

no i didnt get the original sticker

4. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

well look at your door sticker what is the GVWR FGVWR AND RGVWR

5. DAVID1963

DAVID1963 Member

gvwr is 8800 lbs but i dont think that has anything to do with weather or not you have a snow plow prep does it?

6. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

well the front rating would be higher in the plow prep compared to the non plow and do u have a trans cooler on it

7. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

It probably does not, because I beleive on the 250 SD with the plow prep, the GVWR is 9200 lbs, which would include the beefier front end

8. DAVID1963

DAVID1963 Member

Ok I JUST THOUGHT IT MIGHT SINCE IT HAS A TRANS COOLER AND A FACTORY INSTALLED TRANSMISSION TEMP GAUGE AND ALSO MY BOSS V 8.2 PLOW HARDLY LOWERS MY FRONT SUSPENSION AT ALL,YOU CAN BARELY NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE. SORRY ABOUT YELLING I JUST NOTICED THE CAPS!!

9. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

even if it isnt the one with plow prep i would still put timbrens on just to help

10. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

what in the world that kinda of a waste of money. jmo thou it may have the tranny cooler because it has a tow package

11. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Look at the sticker on the door under the "SPRINGS" the front should be "X" and I think the rear is "A". And they should be leafs(front). The trans cooler and trans temp gauge I think are also part of the "plow" package.
    T.J.

12. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

Trans cooler and temp gauge are standard on all superduty diesels. X code on the door tag is the plow spring package or heavy Service package. The only other difference is the alt and even that is marginal.
    I would upgrade to a DB electric alternator and High outpu fuse Do not add the HO alt without the fuse kit or you will damage the factory wiring.

13. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

i have a 2004 250SD with the 8800 GVWR and it does have a snow plow prep package.

14. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

I thought that the code X was for coil springs, not leaf? I had an extra leaf added to the front of my truck since I have the 6.0L and it is so much better then tibrens. $250 installed for the front.

Cheers
    Jeff

15. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

Whats the f/a rating?

16. DAVID1963

DAVID1963 Member

well i have the cooler and trans gauge and mine has a 5.4L triton gas.

17. DAVID1963

DAVID1963 Member

how do you know you have the prep package? what would tell me if i do?

18. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Same here to with the X springs.

T.J.

19. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Go to any dealer and have them look up the VIN #'s. That should give you all the info that you would need.

20. KATTRANSPORT

KATTRANSPORT Senior Member

Post the VIN and I can tell you if it has it.