1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How can I get my dad to let me plow ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by slauncha413, Feb 27, 2005.

1. slauncha413

slauncha413 Junior Member
    from USA

Hey all,

Ive been looking at this site for a while now,and its been great help. I have been going along plowing with my dad for as long as I can remember, and am obsessed with any thing that has to do with plowing. I got my license at the beginning of winter and I am wondering how I can convince my dad to give me a shot at plowing, any ideas out there ?

-Ryan

2. tomv420

tomv420 Junior Member

Tell him you will work for beer

just be like a six pack of bud an hour and he will defintly let you plow for him because you will be cheaper then every one else.

3. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

just a hint

Its great to see your ready to plow so try this does your dad have any large places he does ask him for the chance to try out your skills iam sure you got some if you have been out with him all this time. Or try this one go out to a large parking lot when its dry and get some org cones and set up a course i do it with all my new drivers. Most of the time we do it at nite and go to the local high school and we call the local police to let them know we are there for training. I have like 10 trucks show up with lights and flashers on so its a great show. We had many people show up to ask what is going on (students) and we ask if they wana join in (might be the next driver) so you got to be ready for him and show him you wana plow and help if you got it all set up before and ask him to show up he might be really glad you tryed so hard to drive..... :yow!:

4. szippijr

szippijr Member
    from S.E Pa

Grow up first!

5. LHlandscaping

LHlandscaping Junior Member

Harass him until he lets you. When he does let you, don't wreck!!!

6. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

That's a pretty ignorant comment, if you don't have anything to contribute, keep it to yourself.

I think you gotta show your dad your responsible enough to plow. Just talk to him and explain you wanna try. Suggest he lets you on a bigger, easier lot first, so he get's confident in your ability before letting you do more complicated jobs.
    Tell em how you've been observing him plow for a while and how you'd like to try.

7. fernalddude

yes mower guess young boys will be boys but i would love it if my sons asked me to drive but they hate the snow business they grew up with it and never go with me anymore so if any young guy would like to start iam more than willing to give them some help. I have had drivers that started out slow and i never question how long they take as long as its done (iam paid by the hour)so iam happy to see him trying to help so keep up your dream...

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Maybe there's an area in your own driveway you could practice on? Or maybe a long driveway or lot where you could drive with him beside you? Better yet, if he'd get out and let you practice plowing with him watching.

9. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

I agree with Mowerpan, it's a very ignorant comment. What are you, ready to retire at 23? People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Listen 'zippi', if you don't have anything helpful to provide then I also suggest you don't say anything at all.

Now, Ryan, to answer your question:

You don't have to do anything fancy, just ASK him. There have been threads on here before about guys who bring their children with them, and most of them seem to be looking forward to the day they too will be plowing snow. I have two sons and a daughter and when they're a little older I plan on taking them with me whenever I can. I know I'll be proud when the day comes that one of them buys their first set-up, and I'm sure I'll be "helping" out with it.

Sure, part of me is going to be waiting for the call that they are stuck or broke something or whatever, but that's part of the fun. When my wife was 17 she backed her old man's station wagon through a store window. He was probably mad as hell then, it's a funny old family story now. I'm sure your Dad will be more than happy to let you start pushing. He may act nervous, but secretly he'll probably be beaming with pride.

Of course, I suppose there's a chance your old man is more like Al Bundy than Ward Cleaver. I hope not, but if that's the case then here's what you do. Work hard, save your money, and when you turn 18, buy your own rig and with what you've learned here, set out on your own. There's a member here, cja1987, who's around your age who has a pretty successful plowing business going already. You should try talking to him too.

Good luck and let us know how you make out. Don't hesitate to ask any questions and don't let the few jacka$$es we have around here discourage you. Most of us are here to help.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2005
  10. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Next time there is some plowing to be done ask your father if you can drive and he ride? Say "I would realy like you to teach me how to plow." Appeal to his ego. Everybody likes to be respected for knowing something. Don't argue, just do everything his way ( he will be very happy) and later develop your own style.

11. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

It sounds like you need to grow up as well. :rolleyes:

12. motorider000

motorider000 Senior Member

Wake up an hour before your dad goes plowing and get an early start on his jobs. When he calls you all upset tell him to go back to bed..............................NO WAIT BAD IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

How do you train w/ cones?

14. fernalddude

cones and snow

i run my guys thru a course and run them thru all the things that might come up like side by side plowing, angle course shifting from side to side while driving multi tasking and to get them used to the close places we plow and not to have them hit the cones or each other they get the practice they need then just add snow works for my guys iam the only guy to hit something this season (my luck).....

15. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

My 11 year old Son has 3 plow trucks lined up on his dresser, mastered the garden tractor, and operates the blade in our driveway (I'm driving) and already wants a pick up with a plow as his first car. I wonder if buying him a snow shovel at age 2 motivated him? Anyhow, be responsible and I'm sure your Dad will break you in when he's ready. Good luck, stay safe, plow long and prosper!

16. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

sounds cool, do you have them drop the blade, so is just off the ground or what??

17. Ian

Ian Member

Hopefully he'll come to let plow in wide open lots when no other cars are around. I just don't see it happening without some direct supervision. Nothing against you, but if your father plows to put food on the table I don't think he can really let you go on your own. It would be great to get involved in whatever role you can. How about clearing sidewalks and small areas of parking lots with a tractor or ATV while your dad drives the truck. Slowly but surely you'll do more and more. Good luck.

18. slauncha413

slauncha413 Junior Member
    from USA

Guys thanks for all the help, I think were going to get snow here on Tuesday so I will try to use some of your tips to get behind the wheel at some of the parking lots we do, thanks again for all the help, but keep the ideas flowin'

-Ryan

19. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I would think the easiest way would be to go with him on a night when the snow isn't too deep (so he isn't running under pressure of being behind schedule) and watch him closely as to how he controls it. Wait until he is partially thru a large, open type lot. Ask him to let you take over for five minutes to give it a try and let him advise you--don't take the know-it-all approach of shutting him down if he tried to spoon-feed you a bit.

20. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I don't know. I must say, I not only commend your drive and enthusiasm to get into this industry, but I respect it as well. One thing is for sure... if you're wanting to learn this biz, let him know that you want to learn ALL of it. Tell him that YOU want to learn how to bid. YOU want to learn how to make valve adjustments. YOU want to learn about salt amounts in ratio to wind conditions, humidities, air temps, and pavement temperatures. THIS will really show him that you want to do this. By the sound of your enthusiasm, it seems as if this is sincerely what you want to do. I wish all of the best of luck to you. Let me ask this...does your dad get on Plowsite and read any info? Have him come talk to some of us. There are great examples of sons "bringing up the rear". Good luck to you, and I wish you (and your dad all the best.