1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How can I gain front end Ground Clearance on Tundra

Discussion in 'SNO-PRO PLOW AND ACCESSORIES by Curtis' started by Wi-Doe-Maker, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Wi-Doe-Maker

Wi-Doe-Maker Junior Member

I have a 2006 Tundra Double Cab with a 7.5' Curtis So-Pro 3000.... in addition to tightening Torsion Bars.. what else can I add to gain more ground clearance?? Thanks for All the help!!!

2. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

You may want to take a look under your truck, I don't think you have torsion bars, you should have coil-overs for the front suspension. A google search reveals several leveling kits available for your model.

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Taller tires

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

With or without the plow on? You need to maintain the centers on the plow mount, raise it to high and you will lose efficiency since only part of the blade will scrape when the blade is angled.

5. Wi-Doe-Maker

Thanks guys! Taller tires will work but it would set me back 0ver $1000 for a new set of 4...OUCH!! Basher..Plow on.. I need to get frame of plow up about 3" to avoid scraping it.. I only have about 1" of clearance now!

6. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

can a person put air shocks / air bags I know few does that to 1/2 tons chevys

7. Wi-Doe-Maker

Antler, from what I've read, Air shocks help with load but they don't provide the front end lift I need.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

How much counterweight are you carrying????

9. Wi-Doe-Maker

Basher I haven t used plow yet.. So I'm open for advise as far as Ballast goes...I ordered a 3" lift kit today from Auto Everything...got 20% off of 229.00 ....down to $183 free shipping !! How much weight in rear do you suggest?? I'm assuming sand bags??

10. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

I would do 600 lbs between then wheel wells and tailgate and nothing in front of that. As has been said make sure your a-frame is level and has enough play so when angled the blade can still sit flat on the ground.

11. Wi-Doe-Maker

JCByrd24..... THANK You!!! I'm going down to Lowes this morning and pick up enough 70lb bags of sand to do the trick..

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I would suggest 5/600 pounds, of sand bags, salt, something low and stable. Remember to keep the weight behind the rear axle and allow plenty of support between the containers and the cab, things like to shift forward as you plow

13. Wi-Doe-Maker

Thanks Basher... The sand bags brought the clearance up another 1 1/2". The plow mount is already in its highest clearance position...I guess all Ican do now is wait for the Ready Lift Kit to arrive to gain 3" more...my Tundra is the Double Cab Limited if that makes any difference.

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

remember you need the Aframe to remain level. Any higher and your plow's performance will suffer.

15. Wi-Doe-Maker

Thank You again...I ll be sure to check that position