1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How can I flush a pump with ATF in it?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by snowdays, Dec 23, 2009.

1. snowdays

snowdays Senior Member
    from Ohio

A friend put ATF in thinking it would work ok but has already noticed the pump is slower and it isn't that cold yet. How can the ATF be flushed. I was going to put an old cut off hydraulic hose on both of the angle fittings and run a bunch of it out that way and then drain then take off the vent/fill cap on top and turn the pump upside down to drain the rest. I figured I would have to fill with fluid and run up and down some, drain again and refill and it should be ok. Will this work?

2. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

I am sure the experts will say flush it with this or that, but I would do basically what you say.....I dont think you have to take it off. I pull the 2 filters and manually move the ram up and down a few times....seems to get most of it out. Disconnect the hoses and blow them out...

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You want to get as much of the old fluid out as you can. Lift the blade, and put some blocks under the a-frame so you angle the blade side to side by hand. Set the blade down, hit float so the lift ram is compressed. Take off all the hoses and let them drain. Move the blade side to side by hand forcing the ATF out of the angle rams. If you have an old hose to direct the fluid into a can that will reduce the mess. Drain the sump. Put everything back together and fill it up. Run the plow up and down and side to side a few times to get the air out and check your fluid.

That should get 95% of the ATF out. Worst case scenario, you have to do it twice, but I think you'll be all set.