1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How can I find customers?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by te snow, Apr 11, 2009.

1. te snow

te snow Member

:help:First of all Thank You in advace for your input. I have been subcontracting for four years and want to start my own plow business. I would like to do mostly commercial lots but I'll take whayever comes my way. My question to you is how do I go about getting contracts? Do I survey the property with a detailed explanation of what I am bidding on then walk in to the company and ask for the manager/owner, or ask an employee to give the contract to them if they are not available. I have not gone through the whole del of getting the company started and have not yet thought of advertisment. I'm aware that if my name is out there more i will get more in return. Again any input is much appreciated and if anything comes to mind off the subject of contracts that has to do with plowing of coarse I am encouraging you to say whatever it is. There is never one opinion.

2. mikefras

mikefras Member

Get a business plan, look professional, get all your logistics in place ie insurance, contracts, etc. Start small and get established. A great way to make a small fortune in the snow removal business is to start with a large one
  3. te snow

te snow Member

Very straight forward and very appreciated. Thank You for the reply. I have looked into items such as insurace, salt, EIN number through the state and am very positive about what will become of the outcome.
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Just go in and talk to the manager of any business you would like to bidon. The earlier the better.
  5. te snow

te snow Member

Should I have the contract written and ready for them which may show seriousness of business or should I ask the manager if they are open to an offer/bid?
  6. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Where you are just starting out on your own you should think about joining SIMA, right now they are having a membership drive til the middle of june.It would be a big help to you.

There is a thread started on it in the SIMA section.
  7. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Maybe its just me but I think word of mouth and the people you know are everything in this business when it comes to new customers.
  8. te snow

te snow Member

CAT 245ME- Thank you for the suggestion I will check that out.

ABES- I have actually thought about what you have mentioned and have been talking with friends, family, and coworkers in the plowing industry and at my full time job. The word is out.
  9. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Do not overwhelm any new contacts with already prepared contracts. I have always found that making the contact, and shooting the **** with them a little bit always seems to help. I also have found that somewhere the middle of August is the prime picking time to start landing new contracts. Since you are just starting out, they aren't going to just hand you a signed contract on the first visit either. Take your time, and start building relationships now. If you are working snowplowing in with any other special trade that you have, you might want to start with the extra trade, to get your foot in the door. Don't get discouraged, you will be lucky to land 1 in every 10 contracts untill you get a name built for yourself. Once your reputation is built that number will decrease to 1 of 4 or so. The key thing to remember is don't go out lowballing just to get work. In the end you won't be profitable, and once you have to start raising prices to be profitable, the customer will drop you and look for the next lowballer.