1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how can I beef up trans for plowing

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by sparksrides, Nov 24, 2011.

1. sparksrides

sparksrides Senior Member

so I just had my trans rebuilt on my 99 f250 7.3 psd and I have all ready added two large trans coolers with electric fans on each and a trans temp gauge but I was wondering if any one had any tricks or ways to make sure it will last.

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

How about a shift kit? The two coolers should be more than enough to keep it happy.

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Shift kit....one of the big issues for automatic transmissions is the clutches slipping causing them to heat up. With a light shift kit it will have less slippage when shifting. With what you've done, a shift kit and just common sense like coming to a complete stop before backing up or going forward should keep it in check for awhile. Also I recommend changing fluids and filters every year. But remember, its a mechanical thing so anything can happen, I never had much luck with rebuilt tranny's.

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Forgot.....or if it's computerized have someone change the shift points and pressure, thats what I did in our 06 F250.

5. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

We actually gave up on getting our 4R100's rebuilt locally. Ford offers a remanufactured heavy duty version right through Ford Parts and we've been putting them in. They shift a lot firmer than the original transmissions that came with the trucks or the locally rebuilt ones we were getting. Better yet, we haven't been able to blow one up yet.

6. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

First off, Get rid of the extra Trans Cooler.

If you have a second one in there you potentially can reduce flow and pressure back into the transmission.

Get one good big and good one and call it a day. If you still have heat problems with the trans with one auxiliary cooler, then don't drive it quite as hard.

7. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

For a 99-03 4r100 the best cooler is a 31 row cooler that came stock in the 03-07 superduty. The next thing is to contact BTS
    Brian is the best in the industry in building a bulletproof 4r100. He has a valve body for about $200 that is set up for increased line pressure and quicker shifts. Lastly if you are having a trans done locally have them install the FULL TransGo tugger kit. This is by far the best upgrade that can be done to a trans during a rebuild to fix some of the inherent flaws in its design.

8. fordsuvparts

fordsuvparts Senior Member

I agree 100% with nevrnf, I installed a 2005 6.0 super duty trans cooler in both my 99 f250 and they have been great, also added the ford synthetic additive when we do the flush each spring. A trans temp gauge is a nice add on as well.

9. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I dont know about Brian, but I will back up everything else you said. I will say if you have a local trans guy that knows these transmissions, they can be built to be pretty much indistructable. The tugger kit is a must, even if its only a partial at this point, i would have it done. Also, as I have stated in other threads here, the torque converter is where you should spend some money, they are notoriously weak behind the diesels. I have been told though if you don't do too many hard starts, or let off the throttle and then back on again real hard, you can make the OE converters last.

10. sparksrides

sparksrides Senior Member

can I do a partial tugger kit cause the web site for transgo say's the trans has to be removed from the truck and I just got it back together? also any one know where to get a 31 row super duty cooler for a reasonable price? what I'm running now is two 8x12 coolers but what your are telling me is one large one is better?back in the day I had a buddy with a super charged mustang that kept going through tranny's so the guy building them put a large A/C condenser in as a tranny cooler, I wounder if that would be too much?

11. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Flush your trans every year. Watch your temps, in my experience, 170 is too high for the cold plowing, and make sure you come to a complete stop before shifting always.

And get a good factory trans cooler. Either run the 6.0L cooler or the V10 cooler.

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Most important thing is proper shift technique. Use a [R] - [D] - [R] - [D] system. It takes a while to get used to, but your entire truck will be happier. Higher engine rpms will increase trans fluid flow through the cooler, and make the alternator's job mulch easier. Compression braking will help your brake pads last longer to. Most importantly, no upshift during the push, which makes any shift kit irrelevant.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

As opposed to warm plowing?

170* is not too high. It's warm enough to expel moisture to prevent internal corrosion but isn't detrimental to either the fluid or trans.

14. Evil Diesel

Evil Diesel Senior Member
    from Sharon

Agreed. 170 is not too hot for the trans. The tugger kit can be installed with the trans in place. It makes for a messy job and there are a few check balls that will fall out , but the instructions with the kit show u where they belong when putting it back together. The only part of the kit that can't be installed with trans in is the front pump modification. on my 4r100 I had a tugger kit,PI stallion torque converter,mag-hytec pan and amsoil synthetic oil. Worked awesome

15. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

Is it better to shift to 1st gear or D/OD? Lots on plowsite say 1st gear less shifts, which is a plus. Small lots it may not shift regardless. But isn't it better for the sprag gears to engage, which do not when you shift to 1st gear?

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

My mistake. Should shift from R to 1.

[R] - [1] - [R] - [1]

17. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

By doing this the sprag gears will not engage, and u are relying strictly on the clutches to hold. So is it really better to shift to 1st gear?

18. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

No, for the trans it's not, under normal driving conditions. But if your reaching those temps idling around a lot in the middle of the freezing night, somethings up. I noticed I had to work the truck pretty hard to reach those temps, and so I try to keep below them when plowing.

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There are many trucks out there that will run 160-170* under "normal" conditions without continuing to climb too much once it's actually working. It's all dependent on external cooler size, flow and temps on the cold side of the radiator. When you have one that will run around 170*-180*-ish under most any conditions you have a good one.

20. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

In my experience on 3 different Fords, 2 with V10s, 1 with a 7.3L, is that most will never see 170 unless you are really working them. I'm not talking traveling around, I'm talking about idling around on a lot pushing snow.

On my personally, I noticed that when the temp climbed up, the shifts in and out of drive were not as smooth and the occasional 1 to 2 was a little clunky.