1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how 'bout those newer 4-door wranglers?

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by 00 Ram, Dec 29, 2010.

1. 00 Ram

00 Ram Senior Member

anyone plowing with one of those?

I'm day-dreaming (again) about switching from my loooooong wheelbase pickup, after struggling (again) on my rather challenging driveway with this last storm.
    just too hard to maneuver.
    Back when I had a Dakota, I got it done in no-time, and hardly had to touch a shovel.

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

TOOOOO LOOOOONG for me

3. Aveerainc

Aveerainc Senior Member
    from NH

I plowed for 4 years with my 2 door 1997 Wrangler and it did a great job. Sold it and bought a Snow Dogg MD75 for the 2008 4 door Wrangler. I like the shorter wheel base of the 2 door but the added weight of the 4 door is a huge benefit. The jeep does a nice job handling my 700' driveway and it's steep...I use cable chains on the rear tires when it's really nasty and have yet to even spin a tire.

4. 00 Ram

00 Ram Senior Member

Mine is about 500', but its not the length that is a problem; its the small parking area at the top of the steep part, where there is barely enough room for a full size pickup to turn around. There's no way to clear this out without driving over unplowed snow, which packs it down and makes a huge unmovable icy mess.
    I just googled around a bit, and found that my old dakota had a shorter wheelbase than the new 4-door jeeps, so maybe there wouldn't be so much benefit there. the 4-door jeeps are longer than they look. a Tahoe would have a comparable turning radius, and would probably be a more practical vehicle for me, overall.
    of course, there'd be no comparison to a shorty-jeep...just not sure it would make such a practical commuter vehicle, or how the wife would like it as a grocery-getter for the rest of the year when it isn't snowing.

5. Aveerainc

Aveerainc Senior Member
    from NH

The newer jeeps ride a heck of a lot better than the old :)

6. Mems

Mems Senior Member
    from Maine

Maybe looking into the LJ or extended 2 door version might help with your decision. I have the standard TJ 2dr and I wish a have the extra 2 ft or so added by the unlimited version. Not only does it give you more space and but a little extra weight and towing capacity.

7. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

The newer style 2 door is what I have. Short wheelbase = Short turn arounds. It's perfect for what I need it for.