1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how BIG??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jrm123180, Dec 16, 2004.

1. jrm123180

jrm123180 Senior Member

how big of a tire can I go on my '79 chevy 1/2 ton pickup with out any modification? I like the way it sits, so I really don't want to put a lift kit on it. I've had 32's there before, but I want to go BIG.

2. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I had 32x11.50's on my '76

They only rubbed my running boards in the front fenders on rare occasions.

Any bigger than that and you need to remove sheet metal.

3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

My old man had 33x12.50x15 BFG All Terrain T/A's on his '77 Jimmy K5 and then on the '85 K15 pickup. Both were stock other than running boards, and I don't recall it rubbing. (I was pretty young when he had the '77, but I remember the '85 very well.).... they were on the stock 8" rally wheels.

Note though, that these trucks were both brand new through 5 years old at this point, and the suspension hadn't sagged at all yet.

4. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

That is the key. I had mine on several different offset wheels. Most of your aftermarket wheels have a larger offset, which in turn creates an interference problem.