1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How Big?? (tractor with box)

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by blizzardsnow, Dec 11, 2010.

1. blizzardsnow

blizzardsnow Member

I am thinking of trading a couple of tractors on one with mfwd and a loader. I have some fairly large lots(5-10acres)that I could put it in and thought it would be nice to put a 14 foot for 16 foot box on the front of it. I would think weight would be more. Important than horsepower. Anybody doing this have some thoughts? And yes I have a use for the tractor the rest of the year on the farm.

2. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

If you want to go bigger than a 10ft box I would not put it on the loader. Get a quick attach loader and in the winter drop it and hook the box to the frame Much stronger.
    I don't know what kind of farm operation you have, but that should dictate what size tractor you buy. A 100hp machine would be great for a 10 foot box and weighted down should handle a 12ft. If you want to get into a 14 or 16ft you will want a Big heavy tractor. I would think 140hp+ for a 14 and 180hp+ for a 16 if that. Not that you need the hp but you need the weight.
    I might be a little off, I have tons of experience with tractors this size but am pretty new to using them for snow.
    Guys with more experience please chime in.
    Robert

3. dodge2500

dodge2500 Senior Member

I agree with the previous post and from my experience, the weight is the issue not the HP. We run a 14' scoop dogg on a JD7810 with duals, wheel weights, and mfwd. 99% of the time it can easily push that box full of snow no probelm at all. Usually you don't know its even there. We do put it on the loader but the loader on a 7810 is pretty heavy. We also run a 10' pusher on a JD 2555 with a loader and wheel weights and mfwd. It is the perfect size for a 10' box. To be able to run a 14' or 16' box effectively, I wouldn't think anything less than a 140hp ag tractor would work. The 7810 we have is the ideal snow machine because it has a left hand reverser and IVT trans. Hope this helps.

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We run have 5 7000 series with loaders and we run 12ft on the small frames and 14's on the large frames. Touch wood but we havn't bent a loader yet with a pusher on. I'd also run steel trip back hoe pushers direct mount not bucket. We plan on running a 14 ft Horst on our new 7230 but we also have a spare 12ft sitting there for bigger storms.

5. blizzardsnow

blizzardsnow Member

All I need the tractor for is to pull a 1000 gallon sprayer- I have bigger tractors available if I don't need a loader.... I hadn't really considered that. How does it mount to a tractor without a loader?

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You need a harness. You can either build one or buy a Horst. Check out my profile album.

7. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Thanks Dave, I knew you could give him more accurate information than me lol.
    Not to hyjack but how do you like your 7230??
    Robert