1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How Big is your.... SALT BILL!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by anz27, Jan 26, 2014.

1. anz27

anz27 Member

Title pretty much explains it. I've been on this forum for quite a while, but never register. Finally, I caved in and made one. After seeing all the threads about no salt and such a nasty winter with many little snows, I am curious to see what this winter's salt bill is up to! For some of you larger guys, I bet it is staggering!!!
  2. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

Smaller than my customers!
  3. OldSchoolPSD

OldSchoolPSD Senior Member

We've put down about 36 tons so far this season.
  4. areoseek

areoseek Member
    from Erie PA

Jesus h christ
  5. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

We're pushing 3k. Biggest season was 6k. Still small potatoes though.
  6. areoseek

areoseek Member
    from Erie PA

I'm almost up to $1000. I'm just residential though.
  7. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

We're getting bulk, close to 36 tons half the price or better than bagged salt. But with the salt shortage, prices went up another 20 a ton.
  8. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I'm over 70 tons and consider myself small potatoes. All slicer too so do the math lol.

Only 3 of my trucks have spreaders, and they're SRW pickups with v boxes.
  9. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

I'm on my 5th skid and I'm a very small operation.I have 3 lots and a few residentials.ones a big retail lot that needs way more salt then they allow me to apply
  10. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Last summer I paid $110 per ton for 30 ton truck to me I say I have used 15 ton + I have pretreated grit I have 20 ton of the left out of 40 ton
    I order more salt since I took on a 5 acre lot and later I get a call they said they cancel my order.
    So I been buying up bags salt to use in a tail gate spreader/walks spreader and keep the bulk for my V box
    Bags costing me $4.80 per bag ship to me I bought 5 pallets, So far still making a profit
  11. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

We have had 6 ten wheelers I believe... maybe more. Thats just the times I was there.
  12. vlc

vlc Senior Member

I've spent $5900 so far this season.
  13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We're well over 1000 ton now which really isn't a good thing since most of our jobs include salt. The last 2 winters have been extremely light so I knew it was going to avg out. Just hoping things settle down for February and March.
  14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

1600 tons, I think
  15. A Man

A Man Senior Member

As of Jan 15th we were about 1500 tonnes, it is what it is, I just keep reminding myself that all the guys out there slacking off and cutting back on salt will be fighting hard this summer to keep those contracts. Our best clients have always come after heavy snow years.
  16. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Went through last years leftover, about 10 tons. Got two 22 ton loads up to now, probably 12 tons on hand.44 x 68 =3000$ .I wish I could just salt ,easy money especially when many in my area are paying 125 yard retail! I could probably salt for others cheaper than what it costs them for salt ,fuel , sander etc. Push a button,turn a few knobs, tunes playing,cup of joe, oh for the good life!payup:sleeping:
  17. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

300 ton here.
  18. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

$165.80. 800 pounds or so. Only residential :D
  19. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

Lucky haha
  20. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Not really, just means im not making any money off salt!