1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How Big Is To Big?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by exmark1, Jan 13, 2010.

1. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I just got a 2008 F-250 that has 315/70/17 Tires on aftermarket 10" wide rims.

My question is has anyone had any experience with a tire this big and plowing snow. Should I be looking for something smaller? I am thinking a 285/70/17 would be as small as I could go without buying different rims.
    I priced out take off rims from a junk yard and they want $800.00 with caps & lug nuts
    (no tires) The tires add about $800.00, at that I would have $1600.00 to swap to factory equipment tires and rims!

The tires I have now are BFG All Terrain KO tires with good tread!

Any advice would be great!
    Thanks

2. Darkness

Darkness Junior Member

Load up the bed with about 800lbs and give it a try, if that doesnt work add more till it does.

3. exmark1

That is kind of my second thought... How bad can it be we normally run 600 pound of weight in all the trucks. Seeing as though plowing is only a part of what the truck does I would hate to modify and spend ALOT of money for the 4 months per year that it may or may not snow

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Air them up to max pressure and plenty of ballst.
    Worth a try before you spend big $$$

5. exmark1

I wonder how small of a tire I can safely put on a 10" wide rim? Does anyone plow with tires this big?

6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know that I would air them to max pressure. Those tires can hold a lot of weight.

I plowed 5 times this season with some 315 / 70 / 17 BFG AT's on my truck. They did an ok job. One issue I had was they raised the front of the truck up higher than when the plow mount was originally installed to it made it difficult to remove and hook up to the plow. Also, the tires really float on top of the snow, rather than biting down to the pavement. They also rubbed a bit with the extra weight of the plow on the front. And, with all that extra weight, and the huge footprint of that big tire, it did make it harder to turn tightly. My power steering pump must have hated me.
    I have since dropped down to 285 and like it better.
    I suggest EBAY as a good place to find some decent winter rims and tires.

7. exmark1

Did you have aftermarket rims? If so did the 285's fit on the same rims? I really don't want to buy another set of rims if I don't have to... My truck has a leveling kit and with the plow on it sits high enough up where nothing rubs that I can see.

8. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

The 315's are on H2 rims, which are wider than my stock rims, but not as wide as yours. I think they are 8.5".

You should be able to find a decent price on a set of rims. If I were you I wouldn't want to be plowing on some nice aftermarket rims anyway unless they dont salt much by you.

9. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

i have 295/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on my stock f250 rims. they fit fine but i think anything bigger would be too wide. 285 is probably the biggest i would suggest for a snow tire. mine arent great in the snow but not much worse then the 265's on it before

10. exmark1

They do salt enough... but at the same time I didn't pay for the rims so I can't say I care what if anything the salt would do to them. But I do need something smaller I think, I am going to wait til we get a snow fall and try it once and see what happens

11. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

discounttire.com has some great deals and all prices include shipping to you.

12. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

Shouldn't we be asking the ladies???

:laughing::laughing::confused:

13. exmark1

lol I guess, I tried asking my wife but she said she didn't care lol

14. Chev2500

Chev2500 Junior Member
    from MN

I plowed with the 99 Chevy 2500 6" lift and 325-70-16 tires without a problem, and no weight in the bed... Guess I'd give it a shot and see how it goes.

15. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

I plow with 325/65R18 Goodyear DuraTracs. They do great in the snow, self clean and bite pretty good. No complaints from me.

Last season I ran 325/60R18 Silent Armor Pro Grades and they did good as well, but not agressive enough for me.

I normally run about 600lbs of ballast in the bed.

16. babs2972

babs2972 Junior Member

I have nitto terra graplers on my 05 f-350 ps diesel and they are 325-60-18 on the stock rims. i have a 650# sander in the back and plow in 4x4. the tires have outstanding traction but my only complaint is they ride on the snow and slush like snow shoes when i drive on the road.

17. exmark1

I think I am going to give it a shot and try it. I am hoping it works well enough at least for this winter, I will be putting smaller tires on it next time I need tires. I am thinking something in a 285 or something