1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How big is to big of a plow

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by show-n-go, Nov 2, 2009.

1. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I have a 2003 for excursion 7.3 4x4. I have been looking at 8' plows but i found a smoking deal on a 9' western pro plus. Is that to big? I know there are few of you guy's on here plowing with them plus they are about the same as an f250 srw??? I was talking with a buddy tonight about it and he said that 9' is way to big but i think it will be fine. What should i do??

2. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

hah you could put a commercial 11' on anything with the 7.3....ive got an 8' 6" straight with my 5.4 buddy!!! only harry part is driving down the road with it! u may take out some mailboxes...

3. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Go with the 9' Pro Plus! Your truck can handle it. Just swap in some heavier springs, add-a-leaf, or timbrens.

4. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

The others are right, I had a 2003 with a 8'-2 Vee and no problems. I did just as the other guy said and put a set of $150.00 Timbrens up front and away I went.

The Timbrens will stiffin' up the front but their so easy to put in that I took them out in the winter. Your Excursion won't sag a bit with a set, run that plow your lookin' at all day long !

5. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

Thats what i thought, just wanted some first hand info. The 3500hd i used last year had a 9' with a 496 and 2wd that did fine but that truck was bigger.

I'm doing timbrens all the way around, i need them in the rear for summertime boat towing.

Thank you

6. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I meant to say took them out in the summer :dizzy:

7. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

496? my goodness is that the beloved 8.0 bigboy? what did you need that oil leaker for?

8. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

You should look for X-Code springs for the front and heavier ones for the rear. I cant remember the codes exactly. They should be a big help both for the plow and the boat.

9. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah, "X" code springs and at least 1k of ballast

10. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I'll look into those, any place cheaper than others to buy them or check ebay as usual?

11. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I think it was an 8.1. that is a great truck, it was a flatbed/stakebed. i bought it just to plow with and i was going to put a vbox in it but i ended up just selling it.

12. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

yeah ive heard of fellow v10 owners running from those lol.great engines from what i hear tho!

13. prostk2

prostk2 Member

Are you plowing lots or driveways??-----I have a friend who has a 9' and can't plow a driveway that is 2 cars wide with a car on one side without ripping up grass or he has to angle it and mound the snow on one side---just a thought

14. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

sounds like i will be this year. buddys hookin me up with 20 driveways. on full angle it sits around 7'3" or 7'6" i dont remember. but its hard to turn into the driveway. once your in its good, wears your cutting edge a little faster.

15. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

Lots. The only driveways i plow are mine my parents and a few friends that i visit along my route.(all free) i ended up buying an 8' ultra. It was 4 miles from me instead of PA.

16. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

ultra pro plus? or pro series?

17. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

Just an ultra pro. I really don't need the plus but i would of liked to have it.

18. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

you took the words out of my mouth, It is a great sized plow if you have the area to use it in.

19. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Check www.powerstrokeshop.com they quoted me just over $460 for new X Code springs, new u-bolts and nuts as well as shipping. From my checking around, thats about $200 cheaper than the dealer.