1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how big for truck

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ServiceOnSite, Dec 5, 2007.

1. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

ive seen some guys run around with v box salters in there pickup truck. i have also seen one ton dump trucks with the same salter in the bed. how much do one of those salters weight loaded with salt?? i got poped once by the DOT for being over weight dont really wanna do that again. anybody else have a vbox in there pick up truck??

2. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

i have v boxes in all my pickups, in the 2 x 2500 short beds i have 7footers and the one 3500 long bed i have an eight footer..same size as my one ton stake beds . the 2 x7 footers don't have any side boards to extend the capacity.with my bucket the 7ft COULD hold about 3to 31/2 scoops but i tell the guys to only put in a little over 2 scoops. 3 scoops really squats the truck

3. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

i have a snowex 8000 it wieghs about 500# empty and i get about 1.25-1.5 ton at a time so total weight would be about 2700-3000# loaded. i would not put one in a 1500 series truck but in your 2500 you should be ok.

4. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

I have a Downeaster SS about 800# in a F-350 I put 1.5 ton salt Monday. Could not even tell I had that much, however the DOT scares the heck out of me because they have been lingering around during daylight hours stopping everything with more than 2 axles. Between the plow and a load of salt ( even 1 ton of salt) I am over my GVWR.

5. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

we have a curtis 1.7 yard stainless vbox in the back of our 99, 3500, reg. cab, just put timbrens in the rear, its sits level and we've never had a problem. I think most of the guys that get popped have the truck sagging alot so cops get suspicious....i don't know, we've never had problems

6. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Trucks get overloaded way quicker than a lot of people think.

Look at the door jam at the sticker. Subtract the curb weight from the GVWR, whatever is left will tell you how much more weight your truck will hold.

Regular cabs have a lower curb weight than an ext cab so they can carry more.

For example:

'08 2500HD Reg cab: Curb weight: 5,554 lbs. GVWR: 9,200 Weight left: 3,646 lbs
    '08 2500HD Ext cab: Curb weight: 6,006 lbs. GVWR: 9,200 Weight left: 3,194 lbs.

'08 F350 SRW Reg cab: Curb weight: 6,168 lbs. GVWR: 10,100 Weight left: 3,932 lbs
    '08 F350 SRW Ext cab : Curb weight: 6,413 lbs. GVWR: 10,200 Weight left: 3,787 lbs.

'08 F350 DRW Reg cab: Curb weight: 6,585 lbs. GVWR: 12,000 Weight left: 5,415 lbs.

So as you can see a 2500 ext cab is almost to it's GVWR with only a plow and v-box - not to mention salt.

7. Little Jon

Little Jon Senior Member
    from Buffalo

Scoop from what? skid steer, loader?

We have an F350 stake truck that we use for salting, we take the steak pockets off so its just the flat bed, last year we ran the truck over a scale at one of the properties and it weighed about 7500lbs, thats truck, salter, & about 2 yards of salt. It has a capacity of 3 so it is heavyer when we first fill it.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  8. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

scoop is from an s250 bobcat

9. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

WOW! what woud YOU do without a sticker?, someday you'll learn that common sence means more than an engineers CYA ingorance. but than again idonno

10. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

I doubt i will ever know as much as you. For know i will have to settle to following the manufacturers recommendations, not to mention the law. That seems like common sense to me. :cool:

11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Yea, like if you add one more lb over the sticker, it will fail:dizzy:

12. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

actually yea - if they tested you and you were over, you would fail! What, do you think the trooper would give you a wink and send you on your way? lol

If you plan on regularly overloading your truck then you should probably just get the right size truck and not be driving around everywhere overloaded like a toolbag.

The manufacturers don't pull these ratings out of their asses.

13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Dang, I guessed wrong apparently. :drinkup:

So what happens if you have a 1/2 ton with hd 3/4 or 1 ton suspension like my truck has?

14. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

I agree with Powerjoke. What about having a 800 lbs cap. on a tailgate salt spreader not even counting the salt. Most hitches/receivers have 500lbs on them.

15. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

Suspension is one thing. How about the rearend?? 3/4 and 1 tons have bigger rearends in them. Better cooling and Bigger trans"4L80" in newer chevys 97< to 00 I think.

16. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

If your over your GVWR then you're over the GVWR. Doesn't matter if you have a Mack truck suspension.

Besides, when you register your truck you have to pay per 1000 lbs of your registered vehicle weight. Like my trucks have a GVWR of about 9300 +/- but i registered them for like 8k i think, cause it was cheaper and i don't carry that much.

Anyways, they only give you the option of legally registering your vehicle to carry what the GVWR is. So your vehicle is actually registered to be able to carry a certain load on public roads.

It's not just a sticker on the door jam, it's the way the vehicle is registered too.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  17. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

i got poped once this year already for being over loaded. i was just wondering what the weight was to see if i go this route with my 2500hd if id get in trouble again:realmad:

18. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

CJASON I have a 1/2 ton with 10,000lbs plates on them this way if I do get pulled over and get yanked across the scales they can't give me a ticket for illegal registration. I don't agree with you as far as being able to only register your veh for the gvw that may be true in your part of the country however that is not true all over.

19. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

In Michigan its 25 cents per lb over the gvw. Now when you get a $2500 ticket just tell the officer that you have "bigger" plate GVW and better suspension. Im sure he will just rip up that ticket

payup

20. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

My thoughts exactly. Around here they wont mess with you unless they see the rear end sagging and the front tires skimming the pavement.