1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How Big an Area can you Plow with a Truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Four Seasons, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Four Seasons

Four Seasons Senior Member

At what point do you need a loader to push a foot of snow in a reasonable amount of time? vs. a 1 ton 8.5 V plow

2. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

on a foot! very, very soon!
    We usually don't wait for a foot to accumulate b4 we plow but I wouldn't want to do more then 1/2 acre with a pickup and a foot of snow.

3. Four Seasons

ok, thats good to know. I have to bid first commercial. Its 3 acres. Im going to price in a loader rental.

4. nekos

nekos Senior Member

A 3 acre lot is not that big at all. A truck can easily handle something like that. There may be other reasons to put a small loader out there instead of a truck though.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  5. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

How much time do you have?

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

why wait till there is a foot of snow?

7. Four Seasons

kinda the same principal both ways. So both.

Time? I dont know. 2 hours...

8. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

We picked up a 3 acre lot 2 seasons ago, up till then it was done with trucks. We have only used a loader. So it CAN be done, it will just take awhile. Don't let a foot get accumulated would be my advise. Get a set of pro wings, even on a V it will save you a ton of time. If you get a foot on it...better bring a lunch & thermos of coffee.

9. Four Seasons

I think a loader on site would be in order as the site is fenced off all the way around and the snow would get pushed/loaded through 1 or 2 large gates

10. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

My cut off point for doing lots with just trucks is 3.5 to 4 acres. Of course there are limititations on that, but throw a couple trucks at a 4 acre lot and you can have it cleared in 2 hours. Less than that with a bigger single axel truck, and a 3/4 or 1 ton with a v-plow. You just have to know how to divide up the lot, and push with the storm, not wait till it's all fallen.

11. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Trick question.

It is not always how much pavement there is but location and layout of said pavement.

I have done 6 and 8 acre lots myself with one pick-up and tailgate salter. I have also done 3 acre lots that I have had to call for a loader.

Is it wide open?
    Islands every 20 feet?
    Broken up partial lots front,back and sides?
    Side of the building lanes to dock area?
    Small customer parking in front large employee parking in back and a truck turn around on side?

Every lot has it's own needs and that is what you need to determine for which equipment is needed. :drinkup:

12. PLOWTRUCK

PLOWTRUCK Senior Member

^^ look at the question in the last post. I have also done lots that are 5 and 6 acres with trucks only. All lots are different.Depends if you need to stack snow also.

13. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

You didn't say in the original post about relocating through gates. In my estimating, with the market here, you will not get enough $$$ to leave a machine on site for a 3 acre lot. Leave it to someone that has proper equipment in the area or sub it to them. We take our loader to muliple sites. Your looking at $ 2500/mo for rental of a mid sized machine (good luck finding one) & a 3 acre lot will only go for about 6-8K/season.
    If your depending on someone else to bail you out when the heavy snow hits....they'll be busy with the stuff that has their name on it first. We have bailed out both other contractors & clients that had other sites buried in, neither went well, the cotractor never piad us & the client said we hit a curb...we'd never seen the site till it was under 12-18" of snow. I ended up with a damaged pusher for being a "nice guy" leason learned, from now on any "bail outs" sign a waiver, contract & double rate. I could care less if we do them, that said I have other contractors we will help & they recipricate (like last season when we stuck our loader & neededanother one to pull it out). IMO it is better to pass on accounts than get in over your head & give yourself a bad name & loose any future chance of getting them later. I've learned from experience.

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

:nod:

3 acres of road, truck w/blade is better.