1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how big 7.5, 8, 8.5, 9

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BillyRgn8, Jan 22, 2005.

1. BillyRgn8

BillyRgn8 Junior Member

i got a question for those guys with experience, how big of a plow do you think i should put on my truck ? the only company around my area is fisher and have no problems with there plows. the truck is a 1998 GMC 2500 Extended CAb Short Bed 4X4 with the 6.5 Turbo Diesel with a posi locker rear end. i was think an 8ft fisher with the sno foil, but i sort of like the X-Blade how ever i am woried about the weight screwing up the front end of the truck. as of now the front end is stock and no problems, do i have to beef it up ?

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

The only Fisher plow recommended for that truck is a 7.5' RD.

3. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

I would get the 8' with snofoil. You might have to turn up your torsion bars and add timbrens. The x-blade would weigh to much

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Too much weight for that truck.

5. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

It's not just a suspension issue here, you can easily burn up wheel bearings with too much height on the front end of any truck. The bearings support the trucks weight on the axle. Before you try to mount anything larger then recommended, check out how many pounds that the front axle is rated for. All plow mfg's recommendations take this into account, and are based in part on the truck manufacturers axle weight rating. If you beef up the drive-line and suspension then you can go bigger. :nod:

6. Go Pats

Go Pats Junior Member

no bigger than 8'

i cant delete this see next post

Last edited: Jan 22, 2005
  7. Go Pats

Go Pats Junior Member

no bigger than 8'

I cant speak for the weight because Ive always had F350s, but I had a 9' fisher on my 96 F350 and it was just too big, my '01 got an 8' and Iwas much happier with that. This year I bought a new pickup and dump, I gave the dump a 9' because the rear tires are 8' wide. I bought both x-blades and according to Fisher's web site, and a few dealers with tunnel vision, the 9' x-blade wasn;t recommended for my 12,500 lb GVW truck. it only weighs 300 lbs more than the MS (mild steel) plow so I couldn't figure their reasoning. After a lot of calling to Fisher and other dealers I found out the reason it wasn't recommended was Fisher hadn't yet crash tested my truck with that plow. Either way I found a great dealer in Gilsum NH who not only told me I could put the plow on my truck, but saved me over $500 on both plows. Look him up if you don't mind the ride - www.snowplowsales.com - good luck and I wouldnt go by Fisher's website for what your truck can handle.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2005
  8. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

I have a '97 chev 1500, with a 8' western...does fine!