1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How bad...

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by Farmer_01, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Farmer_01

Farmer_01 Member

How bad do you think this looks? Both sides of my front mount bracket have what appears to be only surface rust on them. The plow is only 2 seasons old and was wondering what I should do to prevent the rust from becoming an issue. My snowplow is a 29series. My plow frame also has small surface rust spots. Does anybody have any ideas?:help: Oh, one more thing, how come three of the bolts have the same amount of rust on them but one has none. I would have thought that all of the bolts would look the same.

Left side.jpg

Right side.jpg

2. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I Would scrap off as much flaking paint as you can and spray down the rusty spots with permatex rust treatment. Or if you want it to look new you could just repaint it.

3. Farmer J

Farmer J Junior Member
    from Ontario

if you have the time take the whole harness off and repaint it, sand blasting is best but a wire wheel on a grinder will take care of the rust and then blow it off wipe it down with the thinner that matches your pain prime and paint. good paint and primer is money well spent. as far as the bolts different batches different coating, if seen that sort of thing a lot. or buy a can of fluid film and go nuts, you can always repaint later and the ff will help keep the rust from getting worse.

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Take a wire brush to it and paint it with rust paint. I do my trucks almost every year. It doesn't matter what kind of blade it is, your harness is going to rust. JMO

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

6. KINNCO

KINNCO Senior Member

After you get all the work finished coat it good with fluid film.... and again before you start plowing. You won't have that problem anymore.
    Also spray all the plugs in the rear, FF helps prevent corrosion and will remove any corrosion that has already formed

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  7. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

thats newyork for you thought right???

8. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Ya, I'd agree with what someone else here said. POR 15. That stuff is great.

9. Farmer_01

Farmer_01 Member

First of all, thanks for all of the advise! I think I am going to wire brush it, paint it, and finish with Fluid film. Not to be to big of a tree hugger but I went to both of their websites and went to the FAQ section to see what they had to say about themselves. I guess what really sold me was the ease of handling. It didn't hurt that it is also sold at John Deere dealers and there is one about a 10 minute drive away.

Thanks again for the help.:salute:

10. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

what would be nice instead of just painting it, take it to a body shop and let them shoot it, or powder coat it because if you just paint it with spray paint, it will probably happen again. somebody told me once it takes about 8 coats of shake and shoot to equal one from a paint booth